Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
Reporting to the Director of Employee Relations, the successful candidate will champion and support the employee experience by fostering an environment of engagement, respect, and inclusion that allows all employees to bring forward their best selves. The Senior Employee Relations Specialist will conduct workplace investigations, deliver high quality employee relations counsel, and develop proactive solutions, while building stakeholder relationships in a complex, matrixed organization.
This position requires a collaborative partner who embraces the Fred Hutch mission and culture; who has a passion for its staff and for best-in-class HR service delivery; and who embodies trust, confidence, and respect. This role will advance the organization's commitment to maintaining a diverse, fair, and inclusive work environment built on mutual respect and integrity, and will play a key role in risk mitigation, partnering closely with other HR partners, Employment Counsel, and internal stakeholders to ensure optimal outcomes consistent with the organization's mission, values, and goals.
This job prioritizes and has a high emphasis on all aspects of informal and formal workplace investigations. A successful candidate will have significant first-hand experience conducting workplace investigations, as well as technical knowledge and expertise in employee relations, with the ability to communicate tactfully and effectively. At the center of their practice is a commitment to listening, creating spaces for diverse perspectives, and the pursuit of inclusive and fair outcomes.
- Conduct informal and formal workplace investigations of sensitive and often complex employee relations issues.
- Provide practical, problem solving, even-handed solutions while serving as a trusted and confidential resource with an open door to all employees.
- Prepare any needed documents, reports and presentations.
- Provide consultation and advice to staff and supervisors on organizational policies, procedures, and programs and resolution of workplace issues and concerns.
- Forge positive relationships with employees and leaders by ensuring that employee relations issues are addressed in a comprehensive and collaborative manner.
- Exhibit the highest integrity and professional standards at all time
- Support the development, implementation, and delivery of relevant policies, training, and communication strategies.
- Other related duties/projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field, or equivalent work experience; Juris Doctorate or other relevant advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in Employee Relations within a large, complex, multicultural and diverse organization, including 3+ years first-hand experience conducting workplace investigations
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, with an established understanding of how this commitment impacts the workplace, learning, and engagement of all employees
- Demonstrated skill in investigation techniques, including conducting investigative interviews
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills
- Clear and effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility with numerous constituents
- Ability to employ high levels of discretion and exhibit exceptional integrity, confidentiality, and privacy
- Ability to negotiate, counsel, mediate conflict, and facilitate effective communications; influence and achieve results without direct authority
- Ability to engage others in ways that ensure buy-in and commitment
- Proven ability to prepare clear, concise, accurate, and persuasive reports, correspondence, analytical studies, and other written materials
- Ability to exercise independent and sound judgment and initiative within established guidelines
- Ability to manage caseload and meet deadlines
- Effective interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization, including attentive listening skills
- Proven ability to work with sensitive and stressful situations in a respectful and confidential manner
- Microsoft Office software proficiency
- Travel to various local work sites as required on an as-needed basis
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $90,382 to $135,574 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.