Visiting Assistant Extension Educator – Nature-Based Approaches to Resilience
University of Connecticut
Location: Avery Point Campus
Internal Number: 497218
Connecticut Sea Grant, and the Department of Extension, College of Agriculture Health and Natural Resources, University of Connecticut, invite applications for an Assistant Extension Educator – Visiting, for nature-based approaches to resilience. This grant-funded position is annually renewable. We are seeking a professional with a background in resilience, coastal ecology, coastal oceanography/engineering, planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or natural/marine resources to engage with and provide education and outreach for local governments and communities to increase awareness of and local capacity to improve nature-based approaches to the resilience of Connecticut communities in view of a changing climate. The position will be housed at Connecticut Sea Grant, with a joint academic appointment in the Department of Extension.
The Extension Educator and member of the CT Sea Grant College Program will report to the Director/Associate Director of CT Sea Grant and to the Head of the Department of Extension, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The position will be located at the UConn Avery Point campus.
Successful candidates will also be expected to broaden participation among members of under-represented groups; demonstrate through public engagement the commitment to, and support of, diversity in the learning experience; integrate multicultural experiences in extension programs; and provide leadership in developing techniques designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interest.
Founded in 1881, UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state's flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will work in collaboration with federal and state agencies, municipal entities, and communities, along with partner organizations, to:
Foster and improve exchanges of knowledge to better identify the diverse needs of communities, including their response to increasing threats to coastal resources associated with climate change, and to increase the public's understanding of changing conditions, hazards, and related impacts.
Support the development of information, tools, and technical support that address nature-based approaches to resilience and related socioeconomic considerations.
Work with communities to utilize actionable science to advance collaborative and comprehensive planning and implement adaptive management strategies that adjust to changing needs.
Work with communities and partners to explore and support diversification, sustainability, and social equity within nature-based approaches to resilience.
Topics of particular interest include:
Living shoreline and nature-based solutions best practices.
Salt Marsh migration and restoration, including ecosystem services, policy, and conservation opportunities.
Riparian buffers in collaboration with UConn CLEAR.
Stormwater management in collaboration with UConn CLEAR.
The successful candidate will work with other faculty, staff, and partner organizations in a multidisciplinary team environment to create and deliver audience-appropriate programs and related materials. Set up program sites and meeting rooms for the presentation of programs that could include transporting, lifting, and moving boxes of educational and/or program materials as well as tables, chairs, etc. as needed. The position will require regular visits to program site locations throughout the state with a focus on coastal communities requiring in-state and periodic out-of-state travel.
Earned Master's degree or an equivalent in coastal ecology, natural/marine resources, coastal management, resilience, adaptive management, coastal oceanography/engineering, environmental/marine policy, planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or another relevant field.
Minimum of two years of experience working with/for local governments, non-profits/NGOs, or other professional or community organizations in the field of nature-based approaches to resilience, adaptive management, planning, environmental justice, and/or adult education.
Demonstrated interest/experience with coastal ecology/habitat management/nature-based approaches to resilience.
Demonstrated superior communication (both public speaking and writing) and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
A valid driver's license/the means to travel to communities; some out-of-state travel may be necessary.
Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings/weekends, as required to reach target audiences.
Five or more years of experience working with municipalities/local communities or nonprofits, including communities with environmental justice concerns.
Documentation of grant writing and grant management experience.
Demonstrated familiarity with Cooperative Extension/Sea Grant Extension non-advocacy, research-based, educational programming.
Working knowledge of GIS.
Relevant professional certification.
Ability to engage/connect with multi-cultural audiences and communities with environmental justice concerns.
This is a full-time, 11-month, renewable, non-tenure track faculty position. This position is subject to annual renewal based on performance and the successful candidate's ability to secure grant funding. Partial funding (80%) is provided, while the remaining 20% will be grant supported. In the first two years, 20% of support will be provided. After the first two years, this position will continue as an 80% hard-funded position and the incumbent will be expected to obtain self-secured grant funding to support the remaining 20%, which could include any sources identified by the Educator. Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The initial appointment is anticipated to begin on March 24, 2023. The successful candidate will be located at the UConn Avery Point campus. The position will require regular visits to program site locations throughout the state with a focus on coastal communities requiring in-state and periodic out-of-state travel. Information on benefits can be found at: http://www.hr.uconn.edu/benefits/index.html.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
A cover letter, highlighting your qualifications and interests and addressing your commitment to diversity including broadening participation and integrating multicultural experiences in extension to meet the needs of diverse communities
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
The University of Connecticut is a national leader among public research universities, with more than 30,000 students seeking answers to critical questions in classrooms, labs, and the community. A culture of innovation drives this pursuit of knowledge throughout the University’s network of campuses. Connecticut’s commitment to higher education helps UConn attract students who thrive in the most competitive environments, as well as globally renowned faculty members. Our school pride is fueled by a history of success that has made us a standout in Division I athletics. UConn fosters a diverse and vibrant culture that meets the needs and seizes the opportunities of a dynamic global society.