Location: Kirkland, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Clinic Nursing Supervisor works closely with Patient Access Supervisor, Infusion Nursing Supervisor and Nurse Manager to assure the provision of high-quality, evidence-based patient and family-centered care by supervising nursing staff and supporting nursing practice. Supports day-to-day nursing operations and quality assurance for the clinic population.
Works with the clinic nurse manager to assure the provision of high-quality, evidence-based patient and family-centered care by supervising nursing staff and supporting nursing practice. Supports day-to-day nursing operations and quality assurance for the clinic population.
- Hiring, training, supporting, disciplining and evaluating nursing staff.
- Assist in Policy & Procedure, SOP, and patient education development.
- Assist in goal setting for the clinical service in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team and work towards achieving goals.
- Lead efforts towards Continuous Process Improvement for the clinical service.
- Assist in assuring regulatory compliance with applicable standards.
- Further the practice of nursing within the clinical service by using current evidence to support change through committee and project work.
In addition to the essential functions outlined in the Nursing Supervisor job description. The General Oncology Nursing Supervisor works closely with the Support Staff Supervisor and Clinic Operations and Nursing Manager to assure the provision of high-quality, evidence-based patient and family-centered care by supervising nursing staff and supporting nursing practice. The supervisor is responsible for management of day-to-day operations, performance management, and clinical and nursing staff development.
Day to Day Operations Management
- Frequent rounding with nursing staff to ensure they have all that is needed to perform key functions and offer support when necessary
- Attend and contribute to planning of daily huddles and weekly meetings for nursing staff
- Serve as an escalation point for day of patient care issues, including patient and caregiver complaints
- Serve as primary point of contact and assume ownership of daily/weekly staffing
- Staffing coverage for unexpected and/or planned absences within the Clinical Nurse Coordinator teams
- Escalate and manage issues in patient care as needed
- Provide and document ongoing coaching and feedback to nursing staff
- Provide support and opportunity for nursing staff to work on professional goals
- Collaborate with Operations Manager and HR Business Partner as needed for performance issues
- Complete annual Performance Appraisals for all direct reports
Clinical and Nursing Staff Development
- Oversee workflow and responsibilities of CNCs
- Identify and evaluate current nursing education, practice, and development needs
- Collaborate with PPC(s), ARNPs, Patient Education, others on projects, education, and implementation
- Nursing degree, either ADN or BSN
- Current, active Washington State Registered Nursing license
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years.
- Minimum 2 years as a RN depending on the clinical specialty and 1 year of previous leadership experience. Outpatient experience preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven project management skills and committee experience
- Proficiency in basic computer skills (EMR, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to work under pressure related to work/time deadlines
- Ability to provide feedback about staff performance to staff
- Strong teaching ability
- Ability to lead committees
- BSN or Master's degree in nursing or related field
- Active nursing specialty certification with a Fred Hutch-recognized certification
- Oncology experience
- Infusion experience
- Outpatient experience
- Nursing Certification (i.e., OCN, ACNC)
- 2 year of leadership experience
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $106,427 to $168,223 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.