Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
A Fred Hutch Cancer Center ARNP/PA-C is a certified physician assistant or advanced registered nurse practitioner who provides evaluation and medical management of patients experiencing acute clinical status changes or urgent situations throughout the Fred Hutch Cancer Center. This position provides opportunities for autonomous practice in the Infusion Room, the Acute Clinical Evaluation (ACE) Clinic and on the Rapid Response team. This position works collaboratively with treatment teams throughout the building to coordinate care of patients. All clinical responsibilities are performed within the scope of practice, institutional privileges and under the supervision of a Medical Director.
The ACE Clinic at FHCC's South Lake Union campus is expanding to a new clinic site located on the University of Washington's Montlake campus. This position will provide patient care at both FHCC's South Lake Union campus and the FHCC outpatient beds located on the UWMC Montlake campus.
Primary coverage of the ACE Clinic including evaluation and management of a broad variety of Hematology-Oncology focused urgent issues including but not limited to:
- GI toxicities (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea)
- Infectious workup and management
- Fluid and electrolyte management
- DVT/PE evaluation & management
- Post fall evaluation & management
- Primary support for Hematology/Oncology teams for patient status changes and urgent situations requiring immediate interventions including but not limited to:
- Infusion and transfusion reactions
- Sepsis/Neutropenic fever
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- New altered mental status
- Significant falls
- Syncopal episodes
- New or worsening pain
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Performs an appropriate focused examination for acute and complex chronically ill patients.
- Manages initial evaluation to diagnostic testing through ordering and implementation of care.
- Facilitates hospital admissions as needed.
- Communicates changes in patient's health status or urgent patient issues to the primary attending and team in a timely manner
- Collaborates and consults with interdisciplinary health team to ensure safe, effective, and timely treatment as well as continuity of patient care
- Rapid Response Team Leader during clinical work hours
- Minimum one year of ARNP or PA-C experience in Medical Oncology required. Urgent care or emergency department experience helpful.
- Strong team player with a can-do attitude is a must! Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team is essential.
- Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner program required.
- Washington state & DEA licensure required.
- ACLS required prior to start date.
- Strong communication skills are critical to success in this role
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $111,748 to $176,634 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.