Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Network Engineering Manager is the leader of the Network Engineering team, accountable for all activities related to Fred Hutch's Telephony, Audio-Visual Technology, Networking Systems, physical layer and data centers. The NetEng Manager ensures end-users and colleagues experience reliable, highly available voice and data infrastructure services, oversees quality assurance of services, creates and executes the strategic direction and goals and services for the Network Engineering team. Candidate is a highly skilled IT professional with experience in physical layer, data centers, VoIP and other telephony services, AV services, site-to-site and remote VPN, LAN, WAN and WLAN, public and private cloud environments.
This is a hybrid position with 1-2 days in the office.
- Serve as technical sponsor and/or technical lead for select projects, providing project oversight and ensuring the project meets its stated objectives and deliverables in support of Fred Hutch's strategic goals.
- Lead annual departmental operational and project budget creation and compliance.
- Manage day-to-day operations of staff, including vendors and contractors.
- Develop and mentor the team's technical and professional skills.
- Build strong, positive partnerships with other IT teams, as well as the overall Fred Hutch community.
- Develop metrics and monitoring capabilities including telephony, AV, networking, and data center usage and availability while ensuring operational excellence and performance.
- Manage and document copper and fiber connectivity across the campus and within buildings.
- Manage designed rack and cabinet equipment layout for data centers and telecommunication rooms.
- Track telephony, AV, and networking equipment software/firmware levels/revisions.
- Review technical documentation and diagrams, ensuring they are comprehensive and understandable.
- Prepare staff to participate in 24/7 on-call rotations, directly participate as needed.
- Validate telephony, AV, and networking hardware and design choices. Lead hardware evaluations for telephony, AV, and networking platforms.
- Keep up to date on related technology best practices and industry trends
- Design and deliver formal and informal presentations on a variety of technical topics to a variety of audiences with various levels of technical understanding.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, or related field preferred, or equivalent work experience.
- Cisco CCNP or Juniper JNCIP certification (or other equivalent certification) preferred
- 4+ years of experience in a technical leadership and/or people management position in a complex, heterogeneous environment.
- 10+ years of experience with advanced network/telephony/AV design/engineering.
- Experience creating and meeting annual operational and project budgets desired.
- Advanced knowledge of LAN/WAN, cloud, data communications systems, Internet and telecommunication protocols, remote access systems, server and LAN hardware systems, routers, switches, firewalls, UPS/PDU equipment, and wireless network equipment.
- Advanced understanding of ANSI/TIA/EIA standards and routing protocols such as EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP
- Ability to analyze and provide creative, innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in a team environment with a proven record of positive contributions.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks, set priorities, and manage to critical deadlines.
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $123,203 to $194,739 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.