Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion
Under general supervision of department leadership, the Material Operations Clerk III is part of a team that unloads, processes, and delivers goods, freight, and mail daily to Center locations both on and off the main campus. This position also assists the supervisor and lead in all activities related to management of capital equipment, oversight of the surplus equipment stream, records storage, and general warehouse duties. This position requires accuracy, attention to detail, good driving skills, the ability to work successfully without constant supervision, and a consistently high level of customer service. Successful team members will also exhibit higher level problem solving skills and good interpersonal communication with our partners in Procurement and our customers. Adhering to product handling/storage guidelines, proper chain of custody for all product and confidentiality guidelines is essential.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Unload and load trucks. Examine freight and notify leadership of any damage or shortages. Contact buyer/owner to provide specifics and assist in determining intermediate course of action/disposition. Advise leadership of all activities for further assistance or follow up.
- Receive and process goods from vendors. Verify all part numbers, quantities and purchase order information. Notify Procurement of any discrepancies and assist in determining course of action/disposition. Follow proper handling, packaging and storage guidelines for perishables, chemicals and hazardous goods. Operate as a primary receiver of purchase orders into the PeopleSoft system. Attach receipt documentation to goods for proper routing to end users. Act as a primary contact with Procurement in resolving purchase order and delivery issues. Act as a primary operator of the Vuetura tracking system and barcode packages for delivery. Assist customers by providing delivery status on priority packages.
- Deliver packages throughout the Center verifying correct delivery location and obtaining delivery confirmation using handheld scanners. Assist Procurement and customers in resolving delivery issues using PeopleSoft and Vuetura inventory/tracking histories as well as FedEx and UPS websites. Pick up and deliver mail at designated mailstop locations. Drive department vans for off-campus deliveries and pickups, and the box truck for large equipment transfers.
- Fulfill stockroom requests by picking, processing and delivering goods to customers. Assist with in-house moves transporting equipment and records for customers by completing assigned work orders. Provide customer service to department visitors using the mail system or picking up packages. Answer telephone inquiries and defer to leadership when appropriate. Assist customers with the processing of both domestic and international FedEx packages. Assist other team members as necessary. Keep workspaces clean, organized, and free of clutter.
- Under the direction of department leadership, assist in conducting scheduled physical inventories of capital equipment. In the absence of the supervisor or lead, perform asset inventories, records storage retrievals/returns, and act as main point of contact for interdepartmental activity involving the Lea warehouse. Assist with management of the surplus stream from collection of items to disposition including storage, sale and recycling. Monitor conveyance form/work order activity to ensure that capital equipment movement is being captured appropriately in the Asset Management database. Work with department leadership and Finance to monitor the accuracy of asset management data being entered upon receipt in PeopleSoft. Act as a point of contact for large capital equipment moves on and off campus.
- Operate hand trucks, carts, vehicles, handheld scanners, computers, faxes, printers, powered and non-powered pallet jacks, table lifts and forklifts. Position requires frequent lifting of items up to 50lbs, and occasional lifting of items up to 100lbs. Position requires frequent bending, stooping, reaching, walking and lifting. Work area includes enclosed offices, loading docks, vehicles, and outdoor parking areas in weather.
- High School diploma, GED or the equivalent.
- Two years of related experience, preferably in material handling, shipping, receiving or inventory control.
- Ability to lift and move 50lbs on a regular basis.
- Experience working in an environment that practices electronic record keeping and transacting.
- Oracle/PeopleSoft/Outlook experience. Good Excel skills.
- Valid Washington State driver's license and a good driving record.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
- Previous experience with handheld scanners/barcode scanning and forklift experience.
- Excellent customer service, problem solving and communication skills.
- Experience with Pitney Bowes mailing solutions, records storage management and capital equipment inventory processes is a plus.
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $21.56 to $30.69 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.