Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit, unified adult cancer care and research center that is clinically integrated with UW Medicine, a world leader in clinical care, research and learning. The first National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Hutch's global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy, and COVID-19 vaccines has confirmed our reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy, and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures for the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Patient Care Coordinator I is a member of a dynamic team and acts as a professional liaison for patients and families, care providers, other SCCA departments and Alliance members. The role uses critical thinking skills to facilitate and operationalize complex scheduling requests through heavy use of multiple computer systems. The role provides continuity of care by ensuring a smooth transition between care settings and by developing a trusted relationship with patients to identify and assist with each patient's individual needs that may arise related to the care they receive.
- Schedules all patient appointments related to treatment within the SCCA as well as outside consults and referrals and communicates schedule directly to patients. Coordinates scheduling with other departments to ensure efficient patient flow.
- Works closely with patients, families, visitors, providers, and staff to identify needs, answer questions, resolve problems, provide information, and follow up.
- Update patient and caregiver contact information in EHR when needed.
- Communicates with providers (physicians, therapists, etc.) technologists, and nurses regarding the patient's scheduling needs, treatment schedule, and additional requests. Notifies appropriate parties as needed.
- Manages and prioritizes scheduling requests.
- Recognizes emergency situations and initiates correct code procedures.
- Supports the overall function of the department, and may be required to take on additional duties such as cross coverage, special projects, etc.
- Assists with the training of new staff
- Update/block provider templates for just in time needs
- Triage calls from referring physicians, patients, family members, and others wishing to access care at SCCA.
- Collects and enters patient demographic and insurance information and enters into registration databases.
- Assists with the financial clearance process as necessary
- Distributes work to the Program Assistant and/or Patient Care Coordinator Assistant as appropriate
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Ability to work independently, organize, and prioritize concurrent responsibilities and demand
- Ability to communicate verbally in person, on the phone, and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- Proficient in the use of word processing (MS Word), email, and data entry in a Windows-based environment
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to solve complex problems and meet patient needs
- Ability to work in a high pressure, deadline oriented, and complex health care environment
- Ability to review work to identify and eliminate errors and omissions
- Active listening skills.
- Ability to build relationships while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Coping skills.
- Ability to identify and triage issues appropriately.
- Attention to detail to ensure scheduling accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree (BA or BS)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a patient care setting
- Experience with Epic or other scheduling and registration software
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment. A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $23.77 to $33.84 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees access to a retirement savings plan, an employee assistance program, paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked), and paid holidays (up to 11 days per year).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.