Medical Assistant Children's Multispecialty Clinic
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: R62102
$1,000 sign on bonus!
3 set of scrubs included
Health care is constantly changing, and at Banner Health, we are at the front of that change. We are leading health care to make the experience the best it can be. We want to change the lives of those in our care - and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
Department of Pediatrics is comprised of 13 Pediatric Specialty groups as well as 3 General Pediatric Practices who hold clinics at 5 main clinical locations and outreach locations throughout the state of Arizona and in partnership with the Banner Diamond Children's Medical Center. The Department employs over 300 clinical and research staff as well as over 100 faculty members serving the Pediatric populations in the Tucson, Sierra Vista, Douglas and Nogales areas. The Department of Pediatrics supports the Academic mission in partnership with the University of Arizona through our residency and medical student programs as well as research funding through our philanthropic partner the Steel Children's Foundation. We pride ourselves as being part of a family-oriented, innovative team supporting our faculty and clinical practices with cutting edge technology and educating the future doctors of tomorrow in the newest advancements in Pediatric Primary Care and Sub-Specialty services.
The BUMG Wilmot Children's Multi-Specialty Clinic houses our Pediatric Primary Care and 11 Pediatric Subspecialty Services to including, Adolescent Medicine, Allergy, Cardiology, Developmental, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Infectious Disease, Nephrology, Pain Management, and Pulmonology which offer a wide range of diversity and opportunity for growth and learning.
Position will support medical assistant functions in busy General Pediatric and Developmental Pediatric practices.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
*Eligibility for the sign-on requires one year commitment
**Uncertified Medical Assistants will be considered and will have 12 months to become nationally certified once employment begins. Uncertified Medical Assistants will have access to Medical Assistant certification study material and Banner will pay for the cost of certification. A passing score would result in a pay increase due to an MA's newly certified status.
Banner is also committed to your future and invested in furthering your education. Medical Assistants have the opportunity to move up the Medical Assistant career ladder or sign up for tuition assistance to further advance their career. From PTR, to RN, there are endless opportunities at Banner Health. Ask your recruiter for additional details to learn more**
University Medical Group Join our nonprofit faculty practice plan associated with the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine in Phoenix and Tucson. Our 800-plus clinicians provide primary and specialty care to patients at highly ranked Banner - University Medical Centers and dozens of clinics while providing mentorship to more than 700 residents and fellows. Our practice values and encourages the three-part mission of academic medicine: research, teaching and excellent patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for assisting clinicians and nursing staff in providing medical care, as well as, implementing and evaluating direct patient care. This position utilizes specialized knowledge, judgment and skills to provide an excellent patient experience.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Prepares patient for exam and treatment by taking and recording vital signs, symptoms and other necessary measurements and recording chief complaint; documents pain scores as appropriate. Reports condition of patient which may be indicative of change in the patient's condition to the clinician.
2. Assists providers with exams and minor in-office procedures which could include taking patients' blood pressure, documenting respiration and heart rate/pulse, taking temperature, as well as performing phlebotomies, ear irrigation and EKG's. Acts as chaperon as needed. Uses universal blood and body fluid precautions at all times and personal protective equipment as needed. Responsible for prioritization of patient flow through clinical process.
3. Coordinates and manages patient care including pre-certifications, referrals, authorizations, prescriptions and scheduling of patients for clinic, hospital and other ancillary medical treatments and tests. Responsible for communicating test results to patient. Acts as a resource to clinician in order to provide optimal patient care. May administer medications in accordance with established policies and procedures or as directed.
4. Provides clerical support with patient/client notifications and documentation to include but not limited to complete medical records including labs, authorizations, X-Rays, hospital records and any previous care pertaining to each patient visit. Provides complete and accurate information necessary for billing related to the patient encounter in a timely fashion.
5. Maintains a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment, exam rooms and storage areas. Disinfects equipment and instruments using appropriate solutions following sterilization procedures. Follows manufacturer's recommendations and OSHA guidelines in handling of hazardous substances. Performs basic maintenance of equipment and coordinates needed maintenance for prompt repairs.
6. Orders supplies as directed, stocks patient care areas. Medication ordering and tasks related to all medications (e.g. expired medications/equipment and recalls).
7. Develops and maintains effective communication mechanism with all external and internal customers. Exemplifies service orientation and the team concept in all contacts.
8. This position will complete all necessary on-boarding/orientation activities, including simulation training, as needed or directed.
9. This position works under the direct supervision of the providers. This position interacts with all levels of staff in a variety of departments, physicians, patients, families and external contacts, such as employees of other health care institutions, community providers and agencies, concerning the health care of the patient. Also interacts with physician's offices in order to report, ask for or clarify information. Prioritizes data from multiple sources to provide support for the response of the patient and family to changes in health status.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. Completion of an approved medical assistant training program as defined by state regulations.
Active Medical Assistant Certification is required. Certification or additional training must meet the requirements for Meaningful use. BLS certification required. Active Medical Assistant certification such as: Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) with proof of current membership from American Medical Technologists (AMT) or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) with proof of current membership from American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) with proof of current membership from National Health Career Association (NHA) (Test administered after 7/1/2017 only) or National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) with proof of current membership from National Certified Competency Testing (NCCT).
Requires strong computer skills, including the ability to work with medical software. Requires exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Requires the ability to manage multiple changing priorities in an effective and organized fashion.
Employees working at BUMG, BUMCT, or BUMCS in a Behavioral Health clinical setting that serves children must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson on the Banner University Medical Center Phoenix campus must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. This is a requirement of the Whole Family Counseling Program held at this specific facility.
Experience with office medical procedures and treatments and knowledge of insurance, managed care operations, EMR and scheduling software preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.