The future is full of possibilities. At Banner Health, we're excited about what the future holds for health care. That's why we're changing the industry to make the experience the best it can be. Our team has come together with the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. The future of health care starts here. If you're ready to change lives, we want to hear from you.
The Banner Thunderbird Culinary & Nutrition department provides exceptional quality food and customer service to our patients, associates and community. We take a more personalized approach to menu selection, preparation and distribution. We operate in a fast pace high volume environment that requires a passion for providing outstanding patient care and service.
We are looking for a registered Dietetic Technician DTR who has a special love for helping patients. This is a great position for someone who is continuing their career in nutritional services. As the Dietetic Technician, you will work collaboratively with the Nutrition team to perform assessments and provide nutrition education to patients and families on appropriate meal selections within dietary restrictions to accomplish patient goals.
This is a full time position, 40 hours per week and will include a weekend and holiday rotation.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position, in collaboration with the Registered Dietitians and members of the health care team, provides clinical nutrition care for moderate and low nutritional risk patients. Provides nutrition education to patients and families on appropriate meal selections within dietary restrictions to accomplish patient goals.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides nutritional education and instruction on identified diet plans to individual patients, patients in group settings, and patient families based upon physician order and/or nutritional education needs. May provide nutrition education to community.
2. Prioritizes tasks and uses effective time management skills to maintain productivity standards. Assists the dietitian in providing an efficient and cost effective nutrition care program while meeting service excellence standards.
3. In designated areas, performs timely nutrition assessments and may provide screening using designated criteria to identify patients at nutritional risk and appropriately determines the nutritional status of patients by completing assessments based on nutrition practice guidelines.
4. Provides timely follow up and monitoring of patients identified for re-screening and re-assessment and refers patients to the dietitian; documents pertinent information in the medical records and patient plan of care while meeting requirements of regulatory agencies (i.e. Joint Commission, CMS, State and other regulatory agencies).
5. Assists with continuous quality improvement activities and ongoing problem solving and conducts meal rounds as indicated.
6. This position must make clinical judgment decisions related to patient care and where appropriate, consults with a dietitian, supervisor, or other members of the health care team regarding patient concerns. This position has tremendous impact on the customer satisfaction of patients. May provide direction to the department staff in the activities necessary to provide quality nutrition patient care.
This position requires: (1) an Associate Degree from an approved Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Dietetic Technician program, and successful passing of the DTR exam (Dietetic Technician, Registered) within 6 months of employment; or (2) a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics; or (3) demonstrated equivalent knowledge as typically obtained with five years acute-care nutrition experience.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Dietetic Technician, Registered (DTR); Experience in Nutrition within an acute care setting is preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.