Our Public Relations Strategist will write attention-grabbing press releases and creative pitches, as well as collaborate on marketing campaigns and events. You will perform administrative tasks like updating our website’s media section and sending out press releases. You will research media stories and trends in our issue space and build relationships with journalists. You will draft talking points and participate in light policy research. You will occasionally lead special projects. You have worked with political campaigns or organizations, government, a PR agency, or in the field of journalism.
Location is flexible, and we currently allow staff to work from home during COVID-19 for safety.
What you'll be doing
- Pitch relevant journalists with news hooks and timely campaign needs;
- Maintain all internal databases and press lists as needed;
- Write press releases and op-eds;
- Research media stories in our issue space;
- Develop relationships with reporters;
- Write and research content, such as blog posts and white papers;
- Work with PR vendors;
- Update website with latest press releases and media hits;
- Support events.
Qualifications & Skills
- At least three years of communications experience;
- At least three years in a position with direct press relations;
- Demonstrated experience securing national press coverage;
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills;
- Experience writing press releases and working with press;
- Creativity and storytelling ability;
- Previous work for a political organization, campaign or nonprofit preferred;
- Experience training spokespeople for interviews with the press;
- Experience writing for a wide variety of audiences;
- Experience writing talking points;
- Experience with Wordpress, ActionKit or other CMS platform is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, a health concierge benefit, a $1,500 professional development stipend, and a retirement benefit. Plus disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
The annual salary range for the Public Relations Strategist position is $45,000-$67,000K.