Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
• The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
• Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
• Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for the position of Program Coordinator for the Office of Community Engagement and Diversity Initiatives (CEDI). Reporting to the Director of CEDI, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the conception, planning, management and implementation of programs, events and initiatives that enrich the campus climate for diversity and inclusion and demonstrate NSC's commitment to partnering with the community through outreach, service and partnerships. The Program Coordinator collaborates with numerous NSC departments to plan, execute and evaluate diversity and inclusion related initiatives.
About Nevada State College:
Founded in 2002, NSC is a four-year public college located on a developing 512-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty and staff members enjoy the rare opportunity to mold the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. NSC emphasizes high-quality instruction, exemplary student support, evidence-based practices, and innovation as a means to more efficient, effective outcomes in all departments across campus.
NSC, a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), serves over 5,500 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved—a majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students. We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our young institution.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
The ideal candidate will share the College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Fall 2020, we currently enroll over 5,500 students in which 38% are Hispanic, 12% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 8% are Black/African American, 26% are White, and 10% are multiracial. Nevada State College is a Hispanic-serving institution. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum that's culturally responsive to the students it serves.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education. For example, your efforts might include contributions in the areas of teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service.
• Manage and coordinate programs and events: Conceptualize, plan, implement and manage diversity & inclusion focused events, programs, workshops & initiatives; maintain associated budgets as assigned and allocated by the Director; develop marketing and promotion strategies and materials
• Engage in Community Outreach to Diversity and Inclusion focused nonprofits and community partners: Strategically build relationships with nonprofits and community partners which benefit NSC leadership and students
• Support DACA/Undocumented and other diverse student groups: Advise students as assigned (e.g., TheDream.US, diverse student organizations/clubs); develop and maintain a list of resources for DACA/Undocumented students
• Coordinate Committees: Manage internal & external advisory groups based in the Office of Community Engagement & Diversity Initiatives (Diversity & Inclusion Task Force, related subcommittees and others as developed)
• Supervise Student Workers and Volunteers: Recruitment, hiring recommendations, on boarding, training, daily management, employee development, evaluations of student workers and volunteers
• Engage in Research, Reporting and Grant Writing: Actively improve campus culture by continually researching effective programs and best practices, using gained knowledge in the department and sharing it with the campus at large
• Oversee daily operations of the Office of Community Engagement & Diversity Initiatives: Oversee department operations; coordinate projects and meetings; determine when to consult other departments (e.g., Business Office; Facilities or OIT); determine what procedures to use based on business policies
• Bachelor's Degree in Ethnic Studies, Sociology, Communications, or other area of study relevant to the position
• 3 Years of related professional comparable experience, which include knowledge and experience in programming/events, community outreach, marketing & promotion, research/reporting, budget development and oversight, the ability to work with others/teams, and the ability to work independently (i.e., project management).
• In-depth knowledge about diversity issues and topics (e.g., racial and ethnic identity, gender, sexuality, disability, social inequality, access and opportunity gap)
• Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
• Master's Degree in Ethnic Studies, Sociology, Communications, or other area of study relevant to the position
• One year of supervisory experience
• One year of experience in advising students and student organizations/clubs
• Experience with grant writing
• In-depth knowledge and experience in serving DACA and Undocumented immigrant students, including knowledge about policies that affect these populations.
Salary & Benefits
Budgeted salary range for this position is $42,000. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, 24 annual leave days, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and the choice of two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Position will remain open until an appointment is made, but applicants should submit their materials by December 28, 2020 to ensure full consideration.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Full-Time Equivalent 100.0%
Please upload the following documents:
• Detailed resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
• Cover Letter indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
• Names and contact information of three references (you will be notified before references are contacted).
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
As an innovative and fast-growing institution, we are focused on serving our diverse student body and filling critical gaps in Nevada’s workforce. Join us to receive a quality education at an exceptional value.