Job Title: Vice President, Business Development & External Relations Reports To: CEO FLSA Status: Exempt Location: United States
The Vice President of Business Development and External Relations will be charged with leading the expansion of a strategic fundraising, revenue growth and external relations plan to advance SHPE’s strategic plan. They will be responsible for establishing, leading, and managing the team, processes, and infrastructure needed to aggressively increase and diversify the organization’s revenue, foster a culture of growth, and nurture and cultivate strategic partnerships and alliances in corporate, academic, government, and nonprofit sectors that advance diversity in STEM.
The Vice President of Business Development and External Relations will report directly to the CEO and will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team. The Vice President of Business Development and External Relations directly supervises the following: Director of Corporate Relations, Director of Events, and Director of Marketing/Communications with an overall remote and distributed team of 3 to 7 total employees.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in City of Industry CA (National headquarters); Washington DC; Dallas, TX; or another major U.S. city.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Business Development and Fundraising • In collaboration with the CEO, National Board of Directors, and the Senior Leadership Team, the Vice President of Business Development and External Relations will lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive, aggressive, and strategic fundraising and revenue growth plan that will fully support the organization’s mission and strategic plan to expand SHPE’s reach; expand the diversity of funding opportunities in corporate, academic, government, and nonprofit sectors; and increase revenue in sponsorships, scholarships, membership, individual donors, programs, and capital campaigns
• Conduct research, identify, and pursue any/all prospective funding opportunities
• Persuasively convey the SHPE vision, mission, and value proposition via marketing, communications, public relations, presentations, speaking opportunities, and fundraising strategies
• Directly support the Grant Management and Grant Development process from research and identification of opportunities to proposal development and submission to grant reporting (in collaboration with the Director of Programs, Senior Leadership Team, and key SHPE team members)
• Lead, manage and work closely with the Directors of Corporate Relations, Events, and Marketing/Communications, and their respective teams, to develop all outreach, relationship-development, marketing/communications campaigns, and event experiences including virtual events and programs
• Create and maintain a formal process to recognize sponsors and donors
• As informed by SHPE’s strategic plan, and as directed by the CEO, lead the management of existing fundraising initiatives and projects and the development of new ones
• Proactively identify the changing fundraising landscapes and strategies to adapt development efforts with agility
Events, Partnerships, Sponsorships, and other Revenue Generation • In collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, develop the sponsorship frameworks for SHPE’s National Convention, National Institute for Leadership Advancement (NILA), seven Regional Leadership Conferences (RLDCs), and all National Programs
• Lead and oversee all revenue-generating functions such as the Industry Partnership Council; the Academic Partnership Council; scholarships, career center and job portal; digital advertising; events; exhibitors and sponsors; programs; membership, Mercado (SHPE’s online store)
• Actively cultivate relationships with local, regional, and national prospective partners, funders, and individual donors
External Relations and Marketing
• Serve as SHPE’s lead brand ambassador
• Lead strategic marketing initiatives to grow membership, revenue, event attendance and overall brand equity.
Organizational Leadership and Management • Provide leadership to create a culture innovation and growth throughout the entire SHPE ecosystem
• Positively represent the organization in all engagement efforts
• Actively contribute to the Senior Leadership Team and serves as a positive contributor to the organizational culture
• Collaborate closely with Programs, Finance, Operations, and Information Technology
• Develop departmental goals, key priorities, and ongoing reports in alignment with the SHPE mission and strategic plan
• Provide leadership, supervision, guidance, mentorship, and coaching to the team and staff
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Required travel to SHPE’s National Convention, National Institute for Leadership Advancement (NILA), seven Regional Leadership Conferences (RLDCs), and other national programs and initiatives
• Extensive travel throughout the United States may be necessary to meet with partners, sponsors and prospects
• Occasional evening or weekend work and travel
• Moderate noise level
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Ambition to work with diverse communities and a passion for the mission of SHPE
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, Political Science, Marketing, or other relevant field of study
• 7?10 years of demonstrated success building and leading a fundraising strategy or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been obtained
• Progressive experience in fundraising, business development, and grants management
• Experience with developing and implementing fundraising plans and cultivation of new sponsors and donors
• A keen understanding of fundraising and giving strategies, metrics and best practices, preferably in education, STEM, and diversity
• Experience in large-scale event planning, budgeting, and execution
• Ability to succeed and enjoy working in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment with a proven skill set utilizing sound judgment, creativity, and effective time management solutions
• Demonstrated experience with/in: o developing a diverse fundraising portfolio o identifying, cultivating, and securing funding o identifying and implementing new revenue opportunities
• Strong interpersonal, organization, and grant writing skills
• Exceptional writing, public speaking and presentation skills
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Professional) or similar certification
• Master’s degree preferred in Business, Public Administration, Non-Profit Management, Political Science, or Marketing
• Bilingual in English and Spanish
Ability to: • stand one third of the time
• lift 10lbs or less one third of the time walk one third of the time
• sit more than two thirds of the time
• talk and hear two thirds of the time
Additional Salary Information: Annual salary is commensurate with experience
About Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) was founded in Los Angeles, California, in 1974 by a group of engineers employed by the city of Los Angeles. Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community. The concept of networking was the key basis for the organization. SHPE quickly established two student chapters to begin the network that would grow to encompass the nation as well as reach countries outside the United States. Today, SHPE enjoys a strong but independent network of professional and student chapters throughout the nation.
SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
SHPE's vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers.