American Progress has an immediate opening for a Direct Appeal Manager to join the development team in launching an initiative to raise $1 million through email, digital appeals, and direct mail. The Direct Appeal Manager will be a team player with experience in direct appeal communications that convert lists to donors. Strong candidates will understand the strategic components of donor-centric appeals and have experience using email, postal mail, and social media to reach and engage diverse audiences. The ideal candidate will also have a track record of revenue success in nonprofit fundraising and the ability to build cross-team consensus among colleagues.
The Direct Appeal Manager will be a fast learner who is passionate about progressive values; demonstrates unrelenting attention to detail and deadlines; nimbly manages multiple tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment; and shows genuine excitement about the opportunity to launch a new fundraising program and deliver long-term returns on investment. This is a one-year, limited-term position with the option for permanent employment to follow.
- Manage direct appeal strategy and execution for American Progress, including through email and postal mail content and strategic implementation of premiums.
- Develop and maintain American Progress’ direct appeal campaign calendar.
- Work across departments and teams for audience segmentation and testing, email coding and setup, and social media implementation.
- Analyze social media, email, and postal mail performance, and establish testing strategies to recommend and manage subsequent strategies.
- Develop and execute acquisition efforts as needed.
- Collaborate with the Communications team and policy and creative teams to translate policy ideas into engaging digital, email, and postal mail content.
- Work closely with the Digital Strategy, Social Media, Email, and Communications teams, as well as the story bank campaign, to ensure that content is tailored to target audiences.
- With the Senior Development Director, manage American Progress’ relationships with consultants and other vendors.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least four years of professional experience in direct appeal management at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills with sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience implementing email and postal mail design and other best practices.
- Experience tracking metrics to inform strategy.
- Ability to create a campaign story arc while also maintaining agility to accommodate rapid-response messaging to drive revenue.
- Creativity with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
This salary range for this position is $60K to $70K.