The Upper Campus of Sierra Canyon seeks a dynamic and experienced full-time teacher of History to start at the beginning of the 2020 - 2021 school year. The Upper Campus consists of 7th – 12th grade levels. We're looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages students' development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues.
Sierra Canyon teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits, and engage with students who are eager to learn. As a private independent school, the school actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community.
Job Responsibilities include the following:
• The primary classroom responsibility will be teaching across grade levels classes that currently exist in the history department curriculum. There are a few possible needs in content, ranging from Ancient and Pre-Modern Civilizations to American History, though the school desires the best candidate possible to join its ranks. In addition, candidates may be expected to teach an elective, especially one in which the candidate has had teaching experience.
• Outside of the classroom, teachers are encouraged to lead clubs, engage with students, attend outdoor ed. trips, et al.
• Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a private independent school commitment: weekly duties, positive interactions with students and parents, becoming a member of the community by attending different events.
• Experience teaching history or social sciences at high school, and possibly middle school, level in private independent schools.
• A masters' degree (preferred).
• Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents.
• The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced academic community.
• A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team within one's own division, as a member of the history department and as an integral part of the faculty.
• A commitment to an inclusive community.
Qualified candidates should send the following to Upper School Director Tom Perry – firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send the following documents as 1 PDF file as an attachment:
Cover Letter Current CV List of three references with name, phone number, email address and explanation of relationship. This must include two administrators with direct supervision.
Sierra Canyon School is a nonprofit independent, nondenominational, coeducational day school in the northern San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. With an enrollment of 1,000 students in grades PK-12, admission is selective. Sierra Canyon School is located on 35 beautiful, rustic acres and has two campuses across the street from each other: the Lower Campus for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through Six and the state-of-the-art Upper Campus for students in grades Seven through Twelve. Students of color comprise 43% of the student body, 7% are international students, and students reside in 98 different zip codes. There are 412 students in the Upper School and 103 students in the Class of 2020, Sierra Canyon’s twelfth graduating senior class.
Sierra Canyon School is an academically excellent college preparatory school committed to an empowering environment in which students realize their greatest intellectual, creative, ethical, and physical promise. We are defined by an energized, attentive, and diverse student-teacher culture. Sierra Canyon School is a special place to grow for the challenges of a fast-changing world.
At its core, Sierra Canyon School develops students who are as keen to realize their potential as their teachers are to inspire it. Our faculty prepares each student for a lifetime of learning and active citizenship. Academic and extracurricular programs encourage the broadening of student perspectives and provide an exposure to both the surrounding community and the wider world. Experiential learning opportunities form a healthy, challenging part of Sierra Canyon School’s program.
About Sierra Canyon School
Sierra Canyon School is a private, independent, non-sectarian, co-educational, college preparatory school for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12 located on two campuses within walking distance of each other in the northwest corner of Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. The highly cosmopolitan campus community is reflective of the Greater Los Angeles Area and the world at large where cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity are welcomed and celebrated. Students are empowered to realize their greatest creative, ethical, intellectual, and physical promise through small class sizes, a diverse student-teacher culture, and a community-focused learning environment.