Overview The DuPage Convention & Visitors Bureau (DCVB) is responsible for marketing and selling DuPage County as an ideal destination for meetings, events, sporting championships and leisure travel. As a nonprofit organization representing the tourism industry, local communities and hundreds of member businesses, DCVB operates within a complex public/private partnership model. The organization has achieved significant milestones as it works to protect and grow tourism, including the launch of the DuPage Sports Commission (DSC). DCVB is seeking an individual to continue its momentum in sports tourism with a Sales Manager experienced in promoting and selling to the sports market segment.
Position Summary Carrying forth our sports strategic plan, the Sports Tourism Development Manager is responsible for growing DuPage’s presence in the sports market and ultimately securing sports groups, tournaments and events. The Sales Manager must excel in establishing and building relationships and closing on contracts while also delivering a promotional program to elevate DuPage’s status among key stakeholder groups. Success for this Sales Manager is defined in the quantity and quality of groups brought to the area’s sporting venues and the additional hotel occupancy generated. The right candidate is independently driven with a strong work ethic; has the propensity for leadership; is comfortable navigating challenging situations; and enthusiastic about collaborating with the executive leadership team to align priorities and grow the DSC. This position reports directly to the Director of Operations with potential management duties of a part-time staff and volunteer coordination.
· Work closely with hospitality partners (hotels, venues, professional services) to coordinate groups and ensure arrangements for attendees
· Identify qualified prospects and clients (regional, state and national) and manage solicitation
· Prepare and present bids for sporting groups or other group business
· Attend trade shows, conferences of professional sports rights holders and exhibit show associations to generate leads
· Handle computerized database bookings
· Manage market budget and process invoices for payment
· Thorough knowledge and proficiency with the sales CRM – responsible for the integrity of the sports module; recording the entirety of the sales process through traces; account management; prospect tracking; and general maintenance
· Assist with the planning, coordination and implementation of special cooperative sales programs (e.g., familiarization tours, sales blitzes, receptions, trade shows, etc) or other related activities as assigned
· Exude a cooperative spirit with other DCVB staff that promotes professionalism, team-building, and continual improvement
· Perform other assigned duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Director of Operations and/or Executive Director
Experience and Education Required
Demonstrated experience in the sports industry with proven service and/or sales record
Knowledge of DuPage County, its communities and amenities a plus
Bachelor's degree in sales, marketing, communications, or compatible field, or equivalent job experience
Professional development training desirable beyond formal education; professional affiliations with industry associations desired.
Prior CVB experience preferred.
Transportation requirements include willingness to travel via plane, as well as possess car, valid driver’s license and current auto insurance.
Requirements: Ideal characteristics for this job include people-oriented skills, high degree of stamina, creativity, quality reputation, and a sales-assertive personality with personal integrity.
Executive-level presence, excellent presentation skills and extreme attention to detail
Ability to build long-term productive relationships – with staff, stakeholders, local leaders and clients
Strong organizational and managerial leadership skills
Must be comfortable navigating situations of political nature
· Strong prospecting and communication skills
· Capable of managing high-stress and/or fast-pace environments such as trade shows
· Excellent oral and written skills
· Budget management; ability to learn framework demanded by public/private partnership model
· Computer Proficiency: Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Excel; Simpleview, a CVB CRM Preferred
· Ability to travel to industry tradeshows, networking events, and client meetings
About DuPage CVB
The DuPage Convention & Visitors Bureau, a non-profit tourism sales and marketing organization that represents the 38 communities west of Chicago, is searching for a Sales Manager to join our team.