The Foundation for Portland Public Schools (FPPS) Board of Directors is hiring an Executive Director
responsible for leadership and management of the day-to-day operations including fundraising,
marketing, and facilitating program development and implementation as envisioned by the Board. The
Executive Director will report to the FPPS Board and will be responsible for implementing Board-led
strategies to achieve the goals established by the Board, in response to the organization’s mission. The
Executive Director will need to maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in
the fields of fundraising and education. Creativity, flexibility and enthusiasm for a start-up atmosphere will
FPPS was originally incorporated as a 501c3 in 1992. At that time it was called the Portland Partnership,
which focused on parent and community engagement with Portland Public Schools. In 2009, the
organization was re-named the Portland Education Foundation (PEF), and the all-volunteer PEF Board
administered a Teacher Grants Program. In 2015, in response to the Budget & Advisory Task Force
Report, PEF established explicit alignment with PPS through a school board policy and a Memorandum
of Understanding. FPPS pursues its mission to generate philanthropic support for PPS as an independent
nonprofit organization with the partnership and direct support of PPS.
The Executive Director will be housed at Portland Public Schools’ Central Office. The ED will work closely
with, and support the work of the all-volunteer FPPS Board of Directors. The ED will work with the PPS
Superintendent, and serve on the Superintendent’s Cabinet. The ED will also manage the Foundation’s
relationships with the Portland Board of Education, District, and FPPS staff.
• Work with the FPPS Board and committees to develop and implement strategies to raise
significant community and philanthropic support that align with PPS priorities and the Portland
• Cultivate and manage corporate, foundation, and individual donor relationships
• Manage all communications pertaining to the foundation, internal and external
• Represent foundation with donors, policymakers, service providers, and community leaders
• Broaden and enrich the foundation as a key community stakeholder by embodying the mission
and expanding the foundation’s visibility
• Work closely with PPS Superintendent, staff, and Board of Public Education as appropriate
• Oversee development of long range goals, annual work plans, budgets and strategic plans
• Prepare funding requests for FPPS Board consideration
• Oversee creation of marketing materials with the help of contracted professional support
• Develop, engage in, and oversee organizational systems for fundraising
• Develop and manage the operating budget with the partnership and support of the Treasurer,
oversight of the Board, and the help of a part-time contracted bookkeeper
• File all reports and other documents required by law in a timely and comprehensive manner,
including but not limited to those required by the Maine Non-Profit Corporations Act, Maine
Charitable Solicitations Act and the United States Internal Revenue Code
• Oversee and manage database management system
• Oversee consultants hired to help achieve goals, as needed
• Supervise Advancement Associate (hired October 2019)
Board Support and Engagement
• Work with the Board of Directors as they establish the strategic direction, and necessary policies,
to carry through the mission of FPPS
• The ED will serve as a member of the Executive Committee
• Support Board President, and manage the flow of information to all Board Members
• Serve on or support Board Committees as needed
• Partner in the development of Board Meeting Agendas, and support information needed for Board
consideration of issues and decisions
• Meet with prospective Board members as needed
• Bachelor's degree; Masters preferred
• All educational and work experience will be given consideration
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Proven successful experience leading an organization in the nonprofit, corporate or governmental
sector where there are multiple and diverse constituencies
• Working knowledge of the Portland community funders landscape and/or demonstrated ability to
quickly immerse oneself in a similar context and develop the necessary relationships
• Proven fundraising experience with individual and corporate donors, foundations, and
• Experience in developing marketing and public relations plans
• An understanding of state and local education systems, or experience in education, a plus
• Experience reporting to and/or working closely with a Board of Directors
• Experience establishing and acting on a strategic plan
• Excellent communication skills – both in presentation style with large groups and informally with
smaller groups – and an ability to interact with all levels of the organization and the larger
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically
• Organized and detail oriented
• Other similar or relevant experience will be considered
• This position is full-time, exempt.
• The ED must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule, including some early mornings, and
some evening events, with minimal day-to-day supervision
• The ED reports to the President of the FPPS Board of Directors.
• The Board President and Superintendent of Schools are available for support, guidance and
supervision as needed.
Medical, vision, and dental insurance are provided at no cost for single and adult with child(ren) coverage.
Other fringe benefits include: retirement plan, group life, employer paid long-term disability, flexible
spending accounts, employee assistance program, generous paid sick leave, and four weeks of paid
Attachment: Memorandum of Understanding July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2021.
Link to: PPS: Portland Promise:
Please send a cover letter and resume to FPPS Board President, Joshua Rent, at Board@foundationforpps.org.
No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed beginning December 1, 2019.
Additional Job Information
Note that providing a salary range is not required, but is a practice that models transparency and
is one recommended strategy for advancing equitable compensation.
Job Type: Full-Time
Region Portland Area
Specific Location: Portland
How To Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to FPPS Board President, Joshua Rent, at Board@foundationforpps. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed beginning December 1, 2019
Internal Number: 1457
About Portland Public Schools
Our goal is to attract talented and diverse individuals to Portland Public Schools and to employ the best qualified for each position. Portland Public Schools recognizes that talented, dedicated employees are our most valuable asset.
Anyone who works with children in a school setting is required by law to have a criminal history record check through the Maine Department of Education's approved fingerprinting process (cost is $70).