POSITION TITLE: Development Officer (full-time position)
BASED IN: Broomfield, Colorado or remote
REPORTS TO: Director of US Operations, El Porvenir
SUMMARY OF POSITION OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position’s primary responsibility is to raise funds for El Porvenir’s programs through annual giving, special campaigns, grant writing, and some special events. El Porvenir is an international nonprofit that partners with rural Nicaraguans to improve their standard of living through sustainable water, sanitation, and reforestation projects. We are looking for someone who is outgoing, motivated, and able to develop and deepen relationships with supporters as well as someone who shares our vision to create change with the people of Nicaragua.
o Creatively source, cultivate, solicit and steward new faith community, individual, foundation, corporation, and service club funding sources to meet goals as well as deepen existing relationships in coordination with the development team and the Board of Directors
o Attract, build, and maintain positive relationships with individuals, faith communities, foundations, corporations, and service clubs
o Manage grant writing responsibilities for 10+ foundations as well as write LOIs for new support
o Strengthen, expand, and support our network of Friends of El Porvenir groups
o Travel within the US and to Nicaragua
o Lead the planning, coordinating, and implementing of special events
o Contribute articles/posts for all electronic and print communications
o Conduct presentations to potential and existing supporters/trip participants
o Develop new contacts with potential service trip groups, churches, organizations, etc.
o Develop and market new Nicaragua tours when appropriate
o Maintain current fundraising campaign and Nicaragua tour information on website
o Supply general press releases for service trip groups to submit to their local papers
· Experience in international development, particularly in Latin America
· 5+ years of successful fundraising/grant writing experience
· Committed to meeting goals
· Excellent verbal and written skills
· Spanish fluency (desired)
· Excellent computer skills, especially Word, Excel, Salesforce, and social media platforms
· Detail oriented
· Willingness to make phone calls
· Able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
· Self-motivated and results oriented
· Able to work independently
· Able to maintain confidentiality of information
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB:
· Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time
· Ability to travel to and from meetings and appointments in locations and times when public transportation is unavailable
· Some weekend and evening hours required
· Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs
Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Benefits including Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, sick leave, vacation leave, and paid holidays.
About El Porvenir
We believe all people deserve clean water, safe sanitation, and the knowledge to sustain it for future generations. We partner with the people of Nicaragua so that they can build a better future for themselves through the sustainable development of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WaSH) education projects. We also take it a step farther with our watershed management program which promotes water flow, increases food security, and reduces the impact of climate change. Clean drinking water for all Nicaraguans—no matter how remote or how bad the road is—is at the core of everything we do.