The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, Wisconsin, serves the spiritual needs of those who suffer poverty in body and soul. Faithful to the message of the Blessed Virgin Mary in her appearances on the American continent in 1531, the Shrine is a place of ceaseless prayer for the corporal and spiritual welfare of God’s children, especially those in most need.
The Director of Development is the principal development officer of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. He or she is responsible for directing all development activities in coordination with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, including the Shrine’s Founder and Chairman of the Board, Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke. The Director of Development is charged with building the material resources of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in order to enable the Shrine to fulfill its spiritual mission.
The Shrine is funded entirely by private donors who believe in and support our mission of leading souls to Christ through Our Lady of Guadalupe and her message. More than 40,000 donors have supported the Shrine since its inception. Pilgrims and donations come from all 50 States and over 70 different countries.
Our development office raises approximately $1.5 million in unrestricted contributions per year. About 40 percent of those contributions come through the Cardinal’s Annual Appeal, which has an annual goal of $600,000. We are near completion of the Answering Mary’s Call capital campaign, a $13 million initiative to fund the Shrine’s endowment and build a retreat house, which will allow pilgrims to remain at the Shrine for extended retreats. The campaign has raised $12.5 million to date, and in 2018, the Shrine reached its $10 million goal for the endowment.
• Design and implement a comprehensive development strategy to sustain, advance, and endow the mission of the Shrine, including, but not limited to, annual fundraising, capital campaigns, and planned giving.
• Direct all development initiatives, including the annual appeal, direct mail campaigns, major gift cultivation and solicitation, foundation grants, legacy giving, and endowment trusts.
• Implement a moves management system to discover, qualify, cultivate, brief, solicit, and steward donors, with a particular emphasis on both broadening the donor base and elevating the philanthropy of mid-level and major donors.
• Coordinate cultivation and solicitation activities designed to deepen the relationship of donors and potential donors with the Shrine, including the following: » Traveling to meet with donors and potential donors; » Organizing and hosting visits of donors and potential donors; and » Coordinating events both at the Shrine and in other locations.
• Manage a personal portfolio of donors and prospective donors, as well as portfolios for the Executive Director and Founder.
• Arrange for regular communications and meetings of the Executive Director and Founder with donors and prospective donors at appropriate levels.
• Develop a regular travel schedule to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and prospective donors outside of La Crosse.
• Implement strategies for the acquisition, management, and maximization of development software and other research tools, including the Shrine’s Raiser’s Edge database.
• Monitor donation activity and gifts processing to ensure data is correctly recorded and acknowledgment letters are generated on a weekly basis.
• Design, promote, manage, and monitor giving societies.
• Research public and private granting organizations and apply for grants.
• Manage associate development personnel, as well as other Shrine personnel and volunteers who may assist in the Development Department.
• Coordinate the formation and engagement of Board members in development activities.
• Collaborate with the Director of Communications on messaging, the design of development materials, and the inclusion of development information in regular Shrine communications.
• Collaborate with the Finance Director in monitoring the state of the material resources of the Shrine; maintaining development software; archiving both paper and digital records of contributions and complying with related security and quality controls; fulfilling information requests; and ensuring the accuracy of reports.
• Prepare materials for meetings of the Development Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Participate in religious and liturgical functions of the Shrine, including Holy Mass, rosaries, novenas, and other devotional practices.
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
The successful candidate will be a practicing Catholic with a sound knowledge of the Catholic faith and its practices, of the apparitions of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and of the history and activities of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe at La Crosse. He or she will be a strategic, entrepreneurial leader capable of actualizing the relationship between development programs and the Shrine’s mission and goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience and attributes:
• Passion for and commitment to the mission of the Shrine
• Proven track record of providing strategic direction, leadership, and operational management of fundraising initiatives resulting in marked improvement and growth over time
• History of supportive leadership, effective management, and business acumen
• Skill to build the infrastructure of the Development Department
• Demonstrated ability to leverage major gifts, including the ability to research, identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects and donors
• Past success in the planning and execution of capital campaigns
• Strategic vision and tactical prowess
• Experience with direct mail and online fundraising, as well as knowledge of social media
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Affirming, motivational style
• Strong personal work ethic and rigorous attention to detail
• Self-motivated and results-oriented with meticulous follow-through
• Unflinching integrity, grace, poise, confidence, and a sense of humor
• Comfort in interacting with people of various socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred
• Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, Wisconsin, serves the spiritual needs of those who suffer poverty in body and soul. Faithful to the message of the Blessed Virgin Mary in her appearances on the American continent in 1531, the Shrine is a place of ceaseless prayer for the corporal and spiritual welfare of God’s children,
especially those in most need.
Pilgrims from throughout the United States, and from abroad, journey to the Shrine to pray. On average, 80,000 pilgrims visit the Shrine each year.
As a place of pilgrimage, the Shrine draws people to the Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Holy Eucharist. Approximately 7,000 pilgrims make a confession every year, and daily Mass attendance continues to grow.
The Shrine employs about 30 people, and we are blessed with over 100 volunteers, half of whom volunteer on a regular basis.