American Progress seeks a seasoned foundation fundraiser with demonstrated people and program management experience to lead the institutional fundraising program in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Managing Director will drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from the organization’s constituency over the next several years. This position is ideal for a strategic thinker who is adaptable and committed to a progressive policy agenda.
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization.
- Lead the foundation fundraising program to successfully meet annual goals while developing and executing strategies to increase the level of funding over time.
- Directly supervise and support the individual success of two foundation fundraisers and a Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Regularly track and report on progress toward annual goals and key performance indicators.
- Oversee the development and delivery of training and other resources to program staff to build internal capacities for pursuing and renewing foundation funding.
- Oversee workflow tracking systems to ensure that all tasks related to outreach, grant writing, and management and delivery of reports are completed in a timely way with a high standard of performance.
- Speak on behalf of and represent the Foundation Relations team with program, administrative, and executive staff.
- Maintain a portfolio of policy teams and deliver fundraising support to program staff, including through research and delivery of new prospective funding opportunities; coaching, training, and strategic guidance on outreach, solicitation, and stewardship activities; prompting of staff-led fundraising activities; creation of briefing materials; support for proposal development; and review of materials.
- Maintain timely and accurate revenue projections and information on funding relationships.
- Collaborate with the Finance team to ensure the timely spending of grant funds and delivery of budgets and fiscal reports.
- Support strategic and operational planning within the Development team as appropriate.
- In partnership with the Vice President of Development and the Development leadership team, contribute to the overall advancement of the development program, share best practices, and stay abreast of philanthropic trends.
- Contribute to team-wide initiatives as needed.