The Director of the Institute for Portland Metropolitan Studies, reporting to the Dean of the College of Urban and Public Affairs, provides leadership for activities, projects and functions of the Institute. The Director also provides overall supervision of the Population Research Center, an interdisciplinary public service, research and training unit focused on urban demography which operates within the Institute. The Director oversees a staff that includes research faculty, administrative staff and graduate students.
The Director is expected to collaborate with the Institute's Board of Directors, composed of civic and campus leaders, to create and implement effectively an annual work plan focused on creating knowledge and partnerships to advance the overall vitality of the greater Portland-Southwest Washington region. The Director is responsible for organizing and overseeing all projects of the Institute, raising funds through grants and contracts to support the Institute's mission: Providing the Portland and metropolitan region with the tools and information policymakers and citizens need to advance the economic, environmental, and social goals of the region.
- Graduate degree in planning, public policy, economics, urban studies, other social science disciplines, or related disciplinary area.
- Knowledge of social science and applied research methodologies relevant to collection and interpretation of regional data, as well as ability to identify opportunities to address regional challenges.
- Experience in working with and building collaborations with groups that include elected officials, government and nonprofit leaders and professionals, business leaders and alliances, philanthropic institutions, and community-based organizations and initiatives.
- Experience with community engagement, leadership building, problem-solving, and public policy development.
- Experience in preparing and submitting proposals for extramural funding including grants and contracts; entrepreneurial spirit.
- Experience in generating a sustained flow of grants, contracts, and philanthropic resources to support organizational sustainability.
- Ability to lead in a complex, dynamic environment that includes the Portland-Southwest Washington region as well as in the administrative systems within PSU.
- Ability to be an effective multi-tasker skilled at driving progress and completion on a variety of projects, assignments and activities.
- Experience in executive leadership that includes, but is not limited to, human resource management, financial and budget administration, assessment and strategic planning.
- Commitment to equity as part of organizational mission and executive leadership.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Doctoral or other terminal degree in relevant field of study - The position may include teaching responsibilities in one or more of the academic units within the College. Teaching responsibilities will depend upon the academic training and previous career experience. Job expectations for the successful candidate will be negotiated with job candidates at the time of hire. - By the third year in this position, it is expected that the Director will generate at least one-half of her or his salary from extramural grants and contracts.
Internal Number: 29272
About Portland State University
Located in Portland, Oregon, one of the nation's most livable cities, the University's innovative approach to education combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. The University's 49-acre downtown campus exhibits Portland State's commitment to sustainability with green buildings, while many of the 124 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees incorporate sustainability into the curriculum. PSU's motto, "Let Knowledge Serve the City," inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe. PSU seeks talented individuals who understand our values and strategic goals and enjoy sharing ideas and collaborating in an environment of mutual respect to achieve those values and goals. We are committed to leading through engagement and seek individuals who support this strategy. Engagement describes Portland State's collaborative approach to the exchange of knowledge and resources with local, regional, national, and global partners for mutual benefit of students, faculty, and the community. As a component of the Diversity Action Plan and the President's... Strategic Mission of achieving global excellence, Portland State University strives to become an institution that is recognized nationally and internationally for the accomplishments of its faculty, the reputation of its programs, and the preparation of it students as world citizens. For more information visit http://www.pdx.edu/about-portland-state