The Director of Development Operations manages the day-to-day operations, including research, communications, accounting, and systems. Under the direction of the Vice President, the Director leads the operations of the AOPA Foundation to advance the Foundation’s goals in an ethical manner.
Reports to the Vice President of the AOPA Foundation. Supervises the Communications Manager and Research Specialist.
1. In collaboration with management, develops and oversees the implementation of short- and long-range performance measurements and tracking processes, including tactical and strategic planning. 2. Recommends, develops, and implements policies, procedures, and processes and monitors compliance. 3. Develops and monitors the Foundation’s budget and financial plans, authorizes and approves Foundation expenditures, and manages contracts with outside consultants and vendors. 4. Develops and executes the Foundation’s donor relations communications plan, including collateral materials, newsletters, etc. Identifies opportunities to improve donor engagement and reporting. Builds and sustains consistent Foundation messaging across various communications and solicitation channels. 5. In coordination with IT, manages the donor database to increase functionality and enhance fundraising capabilities. Oversees donor management system content, prospect management, and donor and prospect reporting. 6. Utilizes effective methods for identifying and qualifying prospective donors, and then researches existing donors for increased engagement and successful moves management. 7. Interacts with donors and prospective donors with diplomacy and discretion and handles confidential information while adhering to industry standards and best practices. 8. Works closely with Marketing to ensure successful direct mail, email, and online fundraising. 9. Coordinates with the You Can Fly and Air Safety Institute teams to ensure effective grant making and reporting. 10. Identifies and prioritizes opportunities to connect with donors and prospective donors in person. Designs, plans and executes fundraising meetings and events.
Desired Education, Skills & Experience:
- Three years of management experience
- Three years of experience in fundraising environment
- Experience using donor management systems to improve fundraising operations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Aviation industry interest or experience preferred
About Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association
AOPA is the world’s largest community of pilots, strongest voice for freedom to fly, and largest brand in aviation. Our products and services span the broadest-reaching media platforms, and aviation technology and products that pilots use to travel the country and the world. With more than 600,000 customers every month, and affiliates in 74 countries around the world, AOPA is synonymous with aviation. From backcountry pilots reaching far into our mountains, or business and families enjoying the aviation lifestyle, to seaplane pilots splashing our lakes, AOPA pilots are just a skyward glance away.
AOPA inspires, grows, educates, and promotes the freedom of flight through world-class media, products, and services, as well as advocacy. We are a beacon for those who cherish the freedom to fly. We provide a foundation for the aviation lifestyle experience that ignites the passion of our members and the public, representing the freedom that is at the very heart of flight.