The HR Generalist provides coaching and support enabling internal departments to effectively interact with employee policies and procedures. The Employee Relations functions of this role include researching, analyzing, designing, and managing the day-to-day operations of employee programs such as leaves of absence, performance management, employee recognition, and employee separations. Additional functions of this position include assisting with administrative tasks in Recruitment & Training and Benefits & Compensation matters. This position works under the supervision of the Human Resources Manager.
1. Monitors, implements, and supports employee relations activities, with a focus on Upstate IL sites.
2. Assists Recruitment & Organizational Development Manager with processing requests for Upstate IL personnel, advertising openings, screening applicants, selecting applicants for interviews, and conducting interviews.
3. Manages the day-to-day operations of leaves of absence, including FMLA and short-term disability.
4. Under the direction of the HR Manager, hears and resolves employee grievances, and prepares related documentation.
5. Assists with the management of the affiliate-wide, annual employee performance review and provide administrative assistance for the annual compensation review.
6. Support the work structure by maintaining and updating job descriptions for all positions.
7. Manages all employee separation processes in Upstate IL and post-employment matters (i.e. unemployment proceedings)
8. Assist Benefits & Compensation Specialist with benefits related initiatives
9. Work with the HR team to ensure the accuracy of HR employee records. Troubleshoot and audit personnel records as needed and requested by the Director of Human Resources.
10. Gather data and prepare HR reports for internal and external customers.
11. Provide the Human Resources department with administrative support and assist team members when needed.
12. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers.
1. Work on the team that provides and coordinates staff on-boarding and off-boarding programs.
2. Track agency employee programs and compile related documentation in conjunction with appropriate staff. Using evaluation tools, report on the impact and efficacy of employee programs. Make recommendations for changes and improvements.
3. Schedule and create agendas for employee programs. Utilize internal and external resources for speakers and facilitators. Integrate new programs as procedures and policies dictate.
4. Work with appropriate staff to identify and develop training programs for non-licensed health center and administrative staff.
5. Serve as the liaison between HR and Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s data analytics team.
6. Communicate leave of absence (LOA) policies to staff and administration, create and maintain records regarding employee LOA, and work with appropriate staff to coordinate paid time off and short-term disability benefits.
7. In conjunction with HR staff, provide supervision of HR interns and volunteers.
8. Serve as a liaison to staff and management regarding benefits and personnel policies and communicate timely and accurate information to employees.
9. Constantly monitor HR activities with an eye for compliance, thoroughness, and efficiency.
10. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, read, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, type, or feel and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: Human Resources Manager
Status: Full time, exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary administration policies.
Qualifications: Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent in relevant work experience. PHR certification a plus. One to three years of experience in an HR or similar function; experience in employee relations a must; experience with organizational development in a health care setting or other nonprofit organization preferred. Experience with Planned Parenthood is a plus.
Professional and Personal Qualities: Motivated self-starter and fast learner with high degree of personal discipline. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate with diverse groups of people. Ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels. Patience, initiative, and ability to work under minimal supervision are required. Must be able to manage projects from start to finish, demonstrating strong follow through and appropriate confidentiality. Interest in and desire to expand knowledge of Affiliate work and management processes required. Ability and willingness to travel among sites and work evening and weekends as necessary. Commitment to the operating goals of Planned Parenthood of Illinois.
Planned Parenthood of Illinois works affirmatively to include diversity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, income, marital status, or any other dimension of diversity. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
About Planned Parenthood of Illinois
We are a trusted health care provider, an informed educator and a passionate advocate. Planned Parenthood of Illinois' 17 health centers throughout the state deliver vital health care services, sex education, and sexual health information to more than 60,000 women and families each year.
For nearly 90 years, building healthy communities has been Planned Parenthood's mission. Everyday, Planned Parenthood of Illinois helps all kinds of people get the health tools and information—and above all the care and compassion they need—to prevent unintended pregnancies or to plan for families when they are ready.