Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: The Association of Yale Alumni (AYA) is responsible for university-wide alumni relations programs and for organizing and supporting events, programs, initiatives, and other opportunities to strengthen alumni relationships with Yale. Reporting to the AYA Deputy Executive Director, this position will manage or contribute to signature volunteer engagement programs for the association, including AYA Assembly, Yale Day of Service, and volunteer recognition efforts, with the goal of supporting alumni leadership pipelines and increasing overall alumni engagement with the university.
- Serves as primary event director for the AYA Assembly, the signature leadership program for alumni volunteers, in collaboration with the Office of Development and the Alumni Fund (joint event with Alumni Fund’s Convocation). Duties include program development, speaker identification and recruitment, logistics, promotions, oversight of registration process, staffing assignments, and senior administrator and senior volunteer briefings.
- Oversees the AYA delegate (alumni representative) program, including recruitment, communications, training, and mentorship.
- Manages several award programs, including AYA Board of Governors Excellence awards for alumni groups and the Lamar faculty award. Duties include soliciting nominations, managing the selection process and committee, marketing, and stewardship of awardees. Also coordinates awards presentation events as needed, including the AYA Assembly alumni awards reception and Lamar awards luncheon.
- Serves as point person and coordinator for AYA’s overall volunteer recognition efforts and stewardship, which involves coordination across AYA’s units and with the Office of Development and the Graduate and professional schools to generate new ideas and collaboration opportunities for volunteer leadership development and recognition.
- Develops volunteer toolkits, training materials, and distribution plans using multiple channels (including online, webcasts, and in-person training). Responsible for developing and monitoring intake process for new volunteer prospects and mechanisms for directing potential volunteers to appropriate leadership opportunities and roles.
- Working with the Director for Yale Alumni Service Programs, responsible for day-to-day management of Yale Day of Service, including recruiting volunteers, tracking service sites and registrations, marketing, and website.
- May perform other duties, including staffing alumni association programs like Yale College Reunions.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a related field and four years of related work experience.
Success in managing projects from conception to completion with exceptional attention to detail. Sound judgment regarding need for consultation vs. independent decision-making. Ability to prioritize and meet competing responsibilities and manage timelines with multiple stakeholders.
Demonstrated ability in event planning, program development, and logistics. Strong customer service orientation and problem-solving skills. Willingness to assume responsibility for all aspects of specific programs, including travel and irregular hours.
Ability to build productive relationships with staff and volunteers to contribute to AYA's mission. Appreciation and respect for principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Ability to engage with diverse audiences (age, gender, nationality, race/ethnicity, profession, geography, etc.).
Outstanding verbal and written communications skills. Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain strict confidentiality.
Demonstrated flexibility and agility in responding to changing demands and priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment. Ability to work creatively and to keep priorities aligned while maintaining professionalism and a sense of humor.
Preferred Education and Experience: Experience with higher education, nonprofits, alumni relations or related field. Familiarity with advancement systems, such as CRM databases and online engagement platforms. Willingness to participate in AYA programs, including evenings and weekends as needed. Knowledge of the University and its academic programs.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at https://bit.ly/2BY8q79. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
About Yale University
Yale University is an American private Ivy League research university located in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1701 in the Colony of Connecticut, the university is the third-oldest institution of higher education in the United States.