Associated Students Inc. (ASI) is a nonprofit corporation and an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento providing a wide range of programs and services to the students of CSUS. As the recognized voice of Sacramento State students, we enrich lives through experiential learning, student services, and leadership opportunities. One of many ways ASI fulfills its mission is through diverse programming such as Peak Adventures.
Peak Adventures is an outdoor adventure program dedicated to providing adventure education and leadership development opportunities for Sac State students and the community through outdoor trips, a full service Bike Shop, team building at the Challenge Center, equipment rentals, and youth camps. Peak Adventures has been guiding people on outdoor adventures since 1989 and have become the most unique, diverse, and affordable outdoor recreation provider within Northern California.
SUMMARY: The Peak Adventures Director is responsible for the overall administration and operational oversight of the program. This involves the management of program development, staffing, marketing, policies, procedures, risk management and budgeting. The director assumes full responsibility for the leadership of the program.
Start Date: Upon Hire Status: Full time, Exempt, Benefited Position Application Deadline: Open until position is filled Compensation: $60,384 - $75,000
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensures the program provides quality outdoor recreational opportunities by maintaining high standards of excellence and keeping current with industry standards and trends.
• Develops and ensures the implementation of programs, policies and procedures by regularly evaluating the diverse needs of the Sacramento State campus community and Sacramento-region.
• Oversees the long-term direction and organizational structure of Peak Adventures, in partnership and consultation with the ASI Executive Director.
• Directs the recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of all full and part-time employees of the program. Assists ASI Human Resources in processing all hiring and payroll paperwork ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines.
• Supervises full-time employees while providing leadership to all staff.
• Develops, manages, and evaluates the annual program budget. This includes preparation of future budgets, monitoring and evaluating the current budget, meeting established deadlines, and advising management of budget related issues.
• Ensures compliance with all safety regulations related to OSHA standards, internal ASI standards, as well as outdoor adventure industry standards. Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained and meets safety standards. This includes the maintenance of the 12-passenger vans, trailers and golf carts. Oversees Class B driver training and driver drug testing.
• Manages program risks by evaluating activity waivers, authorized drivers, emergency documentation, equipment inspections, etc. Ensures that staff is properly trained to inform participants and complete all necessary documents before participating in the activity. Maintains all necessary permits for operations, including annual land agency permits.
• Monitors and directs the marketing of the program by determining the overall vision, working closely with the ASI Marketing Committee and ASI marketing team. Keeps current with marketing technologies to advance the participation of the campus target market, as well as outreach to the general public. Ensure quality customer service for all areas of operation.
• Participates as a member of ASI’s management team advising and providing input to the Executive Director regarding organizational issues such as long term planning, policies and procedures, and finance matters. Participate in committees, retreats and special events related to ASI business.
• Participates in a multitude of campus committees and various campus collaborations to fulfill the mission of ASI as well as to increase visibility and usage of ASI services by the campus community.
• Drives program vehicle for classes, trips or activities as needed. A Class B license and meeting ASI driving criteria is required. Must be available for any logistical or medical emergencies on weekends and evenings.
• Incorporates ASI’s Core Values of Excellence in Service, Inclusivity, Operational Sustainability, Personal Wellness and Development and Enriching Experiences and Relationships into the day-to-day operations at Peak Adventures.
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Leading the Department: Manages and supports organizational transformation; aligns department initiatives with ASI’s mission and vision. • Leading Self: Adheres to the highest standards of ethics, is open to new ideas and approaches; and exhibits leadership behaviors. • Leading Others: Manages effective teams and work groups effectively; builds and maintains relationships. • Effective Communicator: Demonstrates open, honest and respectful written and verbal communication. Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with staff, employees and public. • Flexible/Adaptable: Maintains effectiveness in varying work environments where circumstances and priorities are changing. • Resilient: Maintains high performance and composure under pressure, opposition or criticism. • Creativity/Innovation: Encourages new ideas and innovations in programming; questions conventional approaches. • Financial Management: Prepares, justifies and administers the program budget. Monitors expenditures and uses cost- benefit thinking to set department priorities. • Policies, Process and Procedures: Acts in accordance with established guidelines; communicates and enforces Associated Students Inc. policies and procedures. • Partnership: Works effectively and collaboratively with campus constituencies to serve a diverse customer population. • Customer-Focused: proactively seeks and finds ways to provide the highest standards of service. • Problem-Solver: Demonstrates broad ways to analyze and handle complex problems and situations. • Cooperation: Works effectively with others in order to achieve a shared goal; follows instructions.
• Bachelor’s degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies, Business or related field • CPR/First Aid • Five (5) years of experience in the outdoor recreational industry with increasing responsibility • Two (2) years of full-time supervisory experience • Experience in budget planning and implementation • Intermediate knowledge of windows-based personal computers – Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook • Ability to maintain a Class B driver’s license and meet ASI driving criteria (must be obtained within first two months of employment) • Brings documented field experience in one or more of the program areas offered at ASI Peak Adventures (outdoor trips, challenge course, bike shop, youth camps).
• Master’s degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies, Business or related field • Wilderness First Responder certifications
Associated Student Inc. provides extremely generous benefits package to Full-Time employees:
• Medical: 100% employer-paid medical coverage for employees through Kaiser or Sutter Health Plus; 95% employer-paid coverage for employee dependents. Vision is included in the plans. • Dental plan: 100% employer paid dental coverage for employees and dependents • Employer paid $50,000 Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment • Long Term Disability • Retirement: a generous pay period ASI contribution after completing 12 months of service, subject to the terms of the retirement plan. • Paid vacation and 13 paid holidays. 7 paid holidays are scheduled from Monday, December 24, 2018 through Tuesday, January 1, 2019. • 24 hours of paid personal holiday time • 4 weeks paid parental Leave subject to paid parental leave policy • CA Sick Leave Pay • Employee Assistance Program • Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care • Tuition Reimbursement • Access to onsite childcare at the ASI employee rate
How to Apply
*Applications must be submitted online by uploading a resume on www.asi.csus.edu/employment. A cover letter must be emailed to email@example.com Subject Line: Director, Peak Adventures in order to be considered for this position.*
Associated Students is an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento therefore, ASI employees are not state employees. Associated Students is an Equal Opportunity employer. www.asi.csus.edu
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act Statement In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm
BACKGROUND CHECK A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily after the candidate is offered a position with Associated Students, Inc. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students, Inc. employees who apply for the position.
About Associated Students Inc.
Associated Students Inc. at Sacramento State University
I WORK. I LEARN. I PLAY. I AM ASI
As the recognized voice of Sacramento State students, we enrich lives through experiential learning, student services, and leadership opportunities.
Be the model student association that creates an empowered community where all can work, learn, and play.
EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE
We strive to deliver high quality service and representation
We are intentional about the programs, services, and opportunities we provide
We promote ethical and fiscal integrity and accountability
We collaborate with community partners to provide quality programs
CULTURE OF INCLUSIVITY
We embrace an environment where all people can thrive
We honor and celebrate our differences
We treat all with respect and dignity
We offer resources to address and meet the needs of our diverse student population
We stay current with laws, technology, and practices to manage resources responsibly
We set high standards for communication, collaboration, and accountability
We promote high morale with training and open mindedness
PERSONAL WELLNESS AND ...DEVELOPMENT
We embrace a culture of wellness and balance
We promote mentorship of both staff and students
We foster personal growth and fulfillment through connection building
ENRICHING EXPERIENCES AND RELATIONSHIPS
We encourage the building of meaningful memories and relationships
We value active interpersonal engagement through hands-on learning activities
We lead by example
Peak Adventures is an outdoor adventure program dedicated to providing adventure education and leadership development opportunities for Sac State students and the community through outdoor trips, a full service Bike Shop, team building at the Challenge Center, equipment rentals, and youth camps. They have been guiding people on outdoor adventures since 1989 and have become the most unique, diverse, and affordable outdoor recreation provider within Northern California.
• Peak Adventures Outdoor Trips provide Sac State students with personal and leadership development opportunities through meaningful outdoor experiences. Peak Adventures outdoor trip program offers guided trips, classes, clinics, youth camps, and equipment rentals. Outdoor trips offered include backpacking, hiking, cycling, snowshoeing, snowboarding, whitewater rafting, camping, and more! Peak Adventures trips are designed for beginners and are open to the public, all Sac State students receive special pricing.
• Peak Adventures Bike Shop is a full-service bike shop that serves Sac State students and the public with friendly and professional service at an affordable price. The Bike Shop also strives to empower people to work on bikes on their own by offering classes and clinics. The Bike Shop ensures Sac State students and the community have a reliable, friendly, and trustworthy bike shop on campus.
• Peak Adventures Challenge Center empowers individuals and teams to achieve greater results through a fun and interactive personalized learning experience they won’t forget! Skilled facilitators engage participants in challenging problem-solving activities to strengthen teamwork, interactive games that build relationships, and exciting climbing opportunities to inspire personal growth.