The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit support partner of the Golden Gate National Parks—84,000 acres of national parkland throughout the Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future. Park projects and programs include the Crissy Field Center, the promoting of leadership and environmental justice training for youth; the Native Plant Nurseries, which grows over 100,000 plants annually to restore habitat; Trails Forever, which is at work building and rehabilitating miles of trails throughout the parks; and volunteer programs that inspire 35,000 people annually to take action in support the parks.
The Park Projects + Design Team is seeking a qualified individual to assume the position of Deputy Director, Architecture. This position manages all aspects of the planning, design, and implementation of large scale and highly complex park projects in support of the Parks Conservancy’s six agency partners. Park projects vary, to include facilities, structures, site improvements, cultural resource reuse and restoration. The Deputy Director is capable of managing multiple large-scale projects simultaneously, while also overseeing multiple small to mid-size projects. This role oversees project management staff and their project portfolios to ensure timely, appropriate, and high quality completion of all projects.
A key focus is on the Alcatraz preservation program and the Deputy Director will facilitate the implementation of the Team’s Alcatraz Stewardship Partnership. The program will produce comprehensive planning, design and construction activities. At Alcatraz, the function and purpose of this position is to facilitate communication and provide coordination and oversight of various small to large-scale building projects occurring throughout the Island. In addition, the design and construction oversight of the embarkation site at Piers 31 and 33 is the responsibility of this role. This position supports the protection and preservation of cultural resources while maintaining excellent visitor services.
This role will work closely with the National Park Service/Conservancy partnership team. As a team member they will engage appropriate staff to efficiently solve problems relative to Alcatraz projects, track and respond to funding needs, minimize costs for outsourcing, ensure that park objectives are being met, and provide effective collaboration and communication among all Alcatraz partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing Parks Conservancy project managers and planning staff
- Collaborates and coordinates projects with the Deputy Director, Landscape Architecture
- Responsible for scopes of work, budgets, schedules and leadership on all architectural projects and initiatives
Planning and Design
- Organizes master plan of projects including scopes of work, schedules and budgets
- Hires, manages and directs teams of consultants and contractors
- Directs planning, design and construction of building improvements and park site improvement projects
- Oversees preparation of drawings and specifications; reviews and revises drawings as necessary
- Serves as technical resource to Park Conservancy and National Park Service
- Manages or directs management of design and construction projectsManages or directs management of design and construction projects
- Oversees staff selection of areas for construction yards and areas for construction mobilization including materials and equipment storage
- Oversees construction and directs staff; working closely with NPS/Conservancy and other partnership teams
- Participates in NPS/Conservancy yearly planning and budgeting process
- Bids projects; negotiates with contractors and consultants
- Working with the Development Department, submits projects for prospective grants and architectural awards
- Manages project budgets and tracks expenses
Collaboration and Outreach
- Coordinates with NPS, Parks Conservancy, other partners, consultants and community representatives to implement projects; coordinates inter-disciplinary team to solve problems in construction
- Delivers or manages the delivery of presentations at NPS and other partner compliance review meetings
- Provides park tours of construction sites
- Coordinates inter-agency communication; serves as liaison between consultants and park staff