About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), part of Virginia Tech's Division of Information Technology, seeks a digital content strategist to coordinate and enhance the organization's web presence, social media efforts, and internal communications frameworks. Reporting to the Senior Director of Academic Innovation and User Experience, the successful candidate will oversee TLOS's websites and create original multimedia content that communicates the organization's vision and successes to stakeholders across the university and to audiences outside of Virginia Tech. In addition, he or she will be responsible for developing guidelines and procedures that improve collaboration and information sharing within each of TLOS's groups and throughout the entire organization.
The digital content strategist will be expected to adjust his or her focus to align with the current needs of the organization. At minimum, however, the successful candidate will assume the following responsibilities:
- Implement a digital-first communications plan, with an emphasis on unifying the content strategy, information architecture, visual branding, and user experience of TLOS's various websites.
- Establish and manage an editorial calendar that ensures consistent and thorough communication about all of TLOS's initiatives across multiple media channels.
- Craft compelling multimedia narratives (text, audio, video) that tell the stories of faculty and students who are at the forefront of educational technology at Virginia Tech.
- Produce high-impact deliverables at predetermined intervals (e.g., annual reports, semester summaries) and lower-threshold content (e.g., blog posts, campus notices) as frequently as opportunities allow.
- Manage the organization's social media accounts.
- Seek out opportunities for TLOS to engage with university-wide initiatives, such as Beyond Boundaries, Destination Areas, Pathways, and Diversity and Inclusion.
- Support the efforts of TLOS's leadership team by drafting, revising, and/or editing high-profile, public-facing communications.
- Ensure consistency across all TLOS communications by creating and maintaining an organization-wide style guide and promoting its use among TLOS employees.
- Conduct usability tests and focus groups with faculty, students, and other stakeholders to better understand their use of, and satisfaction with, various systems currently supported by TLOS.
- Serve as an integral member of the IT Communications Team to help coordinate communications work across all units within the Division of IT.
- Bachelor's degree and relevant experience in English, communications, marketing, public relations, graphic design, user experience, or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and evaluate projects within established timeframes.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills, including familiarity with one or more style guides (AP, Chicago, MLA, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in various media
- Working knowledge of communications, marketing, graphic design, web design, user experience, and branding principles; using the web and social media for communication; and digital processes, concepts, and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Master's degree in English, communications, marketing, public relations, graphic design, user experience, or a related field.
- Experience in a higher education, government, or nonprofit workplace.
- Expertise with content management systems (CMS), such as WordPress, Adobe Experience Manager, and/or Drupal.
- Documented evidence of skills in the areas of data visualization, graphic design, photography, and/or video production.
- Experience with design and publishing processes using Adobe Creative Cloud software (e.g., Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator).
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 06/08/2017