NAVY LEAGUE OF THE UNITED STATES
A. TITLE OF POSITION: Director of Finance
B. DEPARTMENT OR OFFICE: Finance
C. SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Senior Director of Finance
D. NATURE OF POSITION:
Responsible for supervising the day to day activities of the Finance Department. Prepares the monthly budget execution statement, the monthly GAAP financial statements and other occasional accounting reports for tradeshows, meetings and other reports as directed by the Senior Director of Finance. Supervises department’s business affairs. Along with the Senior Director is responsible for annual audit and maintaining relationships with auditors throughout the year. Responsible for all bank reconciliations, which include credit card merchant reconciliations with the assistance of the Senior Accountant. Coaching and mentoring to the finance staff. Sets priorities for the department and assures all deadlines are met in consultation with the Senior Director. Works with exhibition vendors for membership meeting organization and accounting policies. Is the main financial contact for accounting policy development of NLUS with exposition manager. Other duties as assigned by the Senior Director and National Executive Director. Responsible for working with Department Heads and the Budget Committee for the formulation of annual budgets. Acts for the Senior Director in their absence.
E. POSITION RELATIONSHIPS:
1. Membership: Contact with members on a wide variety of issues. Occasional contact with councils on financial issues. Coordinates responses with the Senior Accountant.
2. Governing Structure: Along with the Senior Director, consults with and advises volunteer committee chairmen and their staff liaison, national vice presidents, and all other national leadership. Along with the department, attends our corporate exhibition, membership conventions and board of directors meetings as a resource person.
3. Government: Occasional contact with local and state authorities. Usually assists the Senior Director on these issues as assigned.
4. Public: Occasional contact with general public and more frequent contact with Navy League members.
5. Other Organizations: Frequent contact with counterparts at sister associations, local councils and auditors.
6. Association Office Personnel: Constant day-to-day contact with all levels of staff in connection with budget and accounting questions. Also, supervises Finance Department workload assignments. Meets with other staff and managers to coordinate efforts and solve problems as they arise.
F. POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Policy Formulation: The director of finance suggests changes to internal accounting procedures and policies to improve financial reporting and controls with the Senior Director of Finance. Implements changes and monitors compliance throughout the organization.
2. Planning: The ability to work independently, think on their feet, accept change, and plan the work flow of the finance department with little or no supervision is required.
3. Decision Authority: The director has the authority to manage the Finance department, including performance reviews and hire/fire recommendations to Senior Director and National Executive Director. Determines department priorities to ensure an efficient and effective use of NLUS resources in managing the workload of the department and meeting deadlines.
4. Budgetary Responsibilities: The director is responsible for administering the Finance Department budget and advising the Senior Director of Finance on budget execution of other departments.
G. OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
1. Supervisory Responsibilities: The director directly supervises two employees.
2. Supervision Received: The director receives general guidance and coaching from the Senior Director of Finance.