| This is a professional position in the AIA Policy and Community Relations department, responsible for directing programs related to resilience, codes and standards development, disaster assistance, and community development. The Director focuses on the strategic policy development of the AIA on issues relevant to regulation of the built environment. The incumbent directs and participates in the development of research and materials for use by AIA Components, AIA members, and industry stakeholders including but not limited to policy resources and toolkits, development of proposed changes to laws, regulations and building codes, and other policy resources for direct delivery to AIA members and components. The Director will represent the AIA in coalitions and industry groups related to built environment policy and manage a team of staff and consultants that engage in industry activity related to resilience and codes and standards, working collaboratively with other AIA teams to promote AIA policies and members. The Director reports to the Managing Director, Policy and Community Relations. |
· Provides oversight and engagement as an AIA staff point of contact on Codes and Standards, AIA Disaster Assistance and Resilience activities, and other areas of practice including building science and commissioning, as they relate to the development of codes, standards and other regulations.
· Responsible for directing the development and implementation of annual programming, data capture, and management of the AIA Disaster Assistance Committee and the Codes and Standards Committee, and liaises with other relevant AIA member groups related to sustainability and building science.
· Serves as a primary link between the AIA Disaster Assistance Committee, the Codes and Standards Committee and other member groups and parts of the AIA including AIA departments and components, and the AIA Foundation.
· Directs communications and activities with local components. Monitors local component activities related to Codes and Standards adoptions and issues, Disaster Assistance training and response, aligning outreach with efforts of other key AIA national component teams.
· Directs communications and coordination support between AIA National, the Disaster Assistance Committee, and AIA Components during disaster response events.
· Directs the development of marketing plans, communications, and program delivery systems; work with the AIA Brand & Strategic Marketing department to integrate the AIA brand throughout all resilience and disaster related activities and promote media coverage at the national and component levels.
· Provides policy research and data on a wide range of subject related to codes and code adoption, resilience, building science and sustainability to the AIA Advocacy Team, and for dissemination to members and components.
· Frequently works with and responds to volunteer leaders and members (task forces, advisory groups, and working groups)
· Collaborates with other AIA teams and constituency groups including but not limited to:
o AIA Advocacy team, developing policy solutions and disseminating through advocacy networks
o Communications team to distribute policy information and positions to the membership
o The Design and Practice team, especially the Knowledge Community network, where many volunteer subject matter experts engage and contribute
o The AIA market research team for surveys and other data gathering support
o Member and Component Relations team on issues that may require input or coordination with the State and Local component network of members
· Directs strategic planning and budgeting for codes and standards and resilience programming as requested.
· Other projects as assigned.
All AIA staff teams, especially Advocacy, Design and Practice, and Member and Component Resources
AIA Foundation Executive Director and Staff
Chair and Members of the Codes and Standards Committee
Chair and Members of the Disaster Assistance Committee and component leaders
The Disaster Assistance Network
Related professional organizations and associations
Codes and Standards Development Organizations
Emergency Management Agencies and Regulatory Bodies