Guiding by the belief that all lives have equal value, the Global Finance & Accounting Services (GFAS) Team is a group of high performing financial professionals deep in the following financial expertise: global payroll, technical accounting, banking, treasury, tax, and financial operations. We are guardians of Bill, Melinda & Warren’s finite and precious gift and achieve the highest standards for innovation, integrity, and efficiency in deploying resources. We partner with our colleagues to invest the foundation’s resources wisely and boldly in service of people who need it the most.
The Global Payroll team sits within GFAS and is responsible and accountable for exceptional, world class execution of world-wide payroll for 1500+ staff.
The GFAS team is seeking a Global Payroll Lead passionate about effective and efficient execution of expatriate and local payroll worldwide, strong controls, customer service and vendor management.
You are an experienced Global Payroll professional with a successful track record of implementing and managing complex payroll operations worldwide. You are a leader, problem-solver, trusted business partner, and guru in managing complex payroll operations.
To be successful in this role, you will challenge the status quo and constantly seek innovative, simple solutions to exciting and complex payroll operations and program. You will never sacrifice your integrity or take short cuts because you realize the importance of payroll and the foundation’s reputation and charitable causes. You are a strategic thinker, but never lose sight of the detail. You are an impatient optimist yet understand patience and collaboration are required in successfully launching complex payroll programs.
Most importantly, you are a talented, top performing Global Payroll professional passionate about the mission and this is what drives you to bring your whole self to work each day.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for the compliance of global payroll information with local labor and tax reporting requirements
· Responsible for verifying global payroll through meeting requirements of internal and external audits
· Manage internal and external audits including analysis and understanding of requirements and findings
· Serve as a subject matter expert on global payroll processes, the Foundation’s HRIS and payroll system, and in partnership with members of IT, HR, Legal and other internal groups; provide payroll consulting through comprehensive understanding of the local payroll legislative environments.
· Act as the primary contact for implementing new payroll processes and procedures when opening a new office or processing payroll in a new country
· Work with outside vendors and agencies for new local, state and country registrations
· Partner with regional offices in Europe, Africa, and Asia to manage operations to ensure the smooth, timely, and accurate delivery of Payroll services globally
· Responsible for developing and maintaining external partnerships, including vendor relationships, that leverage resources to ensure first-class delivery of payroll services and ensure accurate and timely payroll
· Develop, recommend, and prioritize global payroll processes and infrastructure to improve the Payroll experience for employees worldwide including contingency plans · Manage and hold accountable vendors / business process outsourcing firms responsible for payroll processing.
· Responsible for ensuring accuracy of all global payrolls and tax payments.
Core Knowledge and Skills:
· Knowledge of Global Mobility policies and compensation and experience managing global payroll
· Experience processing US payroll including knowledge of US federal regulations pertaining to payroll and employee fringe benefits
· Excellent organizational skills with the ability to keep track of both large and small details
· Experience completing payroll journal entries, month end payroll recons and an understanding of accounting principals
· Experience with year-end close, financial statement audits as well as year-end processes in other countries, such as India
· Detail oriented with the ability to execute all tasks as part of payroll, projects and ad hoc requests timely and accurately
· Working knowledge of Payroll systems, experience with Workday preferred
· Ability to think analytically and strategically and appropriately escalate issues and concerns
· Strong interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills
· Strong work ethic
· Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
· Ability to appropriately utilize external resources and manage external vendors
· Ability to understand when to include internal partners, such as HR and Legal, when complex issues arise
· Work on payrolls that are extremely complex in nature where sound judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
· Determine methods and procedures on new payroll processes and provide guidance to internal and external partners. Initiate strategic communication with internal partners, external vendors and employees; Triage, manage and prioritize tasks related to inquiries for employee payroll information. Key management of vendors and making decisions to escalate issues as needed.
· Internally: Payroll touches everyone in the organization since all employees receive pay, which is why a high level of customer service, along with strong interpersonal communication skills are so very important. Key partners for this role are HR Benefits and Recruiting and the IT Workday team.
· Externally: Payroll interacts with various third party vendors including auditors, federal and state agencies, and 3rd party payroll providers. Therefore, the ability to build strong, respectful relationships is imperative, along with strong communication skills.
Education, Certification & Experience:
· Bachelor’s or other advanced degree in Finance / Business / Accounting with 8+ years of international payroll and expatriate payroll processing
· Proven track record in career progression
· Sound business judgement, strategic and analytical capabilities
· Exceptional influencing and communication skills; ability to build strong relationships cross functionally, including upper management
· Familiarity with technical systems, data mining and data analysis (e.g.Workday).
· Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification a plus, but not required
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
From poverty to health, to education, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation focuses on improving the lives of billions of people worldwide. There are four problem areas the organization focuses on; the Global Development Division, Global Health Division, United States Division, and Global Policy & Advocacy Division. In developing countries the foundation focuses on improving the health and welln...ess of people as well as helping children and families escape from extreme hunger and poverty. In the United States, the foundation focuses on low-income families and makes sure that everyone has opportunities to receive an education that will help them succeed. The foundation works with numerous organizations around the world to tackle critical problems and addresses challenging inequalities. The headquarters of this organization is based in Seattle, Washington, one of the most proactive global health and non-profit cities in the world.