Lambda Legal seeks a dynamic Major Gifts Officer (MGO) to join their Development Department. Based in Atlanta, this position is primarily responsible for acquiring, cultivating, and soliciting assigned individual donors and prospects with potential to give $1500 or more annually, with heightened focus on individual giving and upgrading donors to Major Donor levels ($5000+).
You will work to expand Lambda Legal’s Leadership ($1500+) Donor Program and volunteer activities in their assigned area/market. You will also be responsible for managing relationships, communications, and individual giving plans with leadership donors and managing volunteer leadership committees in their assigned markets.
Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Founded in 1973 and headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta Dallas and Washington DC.
• The MGO will manage Leadership Donor fundraising programs in assigned markets, including acquiring, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospects with potential to give $1500 or more annually, with heightened focus on individual giving and upgrading donors to Major Donor levels ($5000+). This includes face-to-face meetings and interaction with donors including direct solicitations and managing cultivation events/touch points including house parties.
• . You also will work to increase planned giving in the areas covered and is responsible for increasing Leadership Donor revenue in each assigned market and for overall portfolio. The MGO works as a team with other staff under the leadership of the Senior Major Gifts Officer in NYC to plan and execute a wide variety of development relationships and activities.
• The MGO will serve as the “point person” for individual donors and prospects, local corporate and law firm event sponsors, and volunteer fundraising committees in their assigned markets areas; and other markets and Leadership Donors nationally, as assigned.
• You will work with Lambda Legal staff, Board, and National Leadership Council (NLC) members and other volunteers to execute fundraising and cultivation events in assigned markets and additional ones, as determined. The MGO will also manage volunteer leadership committees and Leadership Donor fundraising plans, including identifying and securing event sponsorships (individual and firm/corporate), in assigned markets and others, as determined.
• The MGO will support and manage annual solicitation of donors in assigned portfolio by Chief Executive Officer, Board, NLC members, other key volunteers, and other Lambda Legal staff. This includes identifying and securing major donor prospect meetings for senior staff and organizational leadership. The MGO will acknowledge contributions and coordinate annual report recognition for gifts received from donors in assigned portfolio and work with national staff to coordinate input into grant proposals for local foundations and prospective foundation grantors.
• Additional duties as assigned.
You must be able to work in an autonomous environment and be self-directed and self-motivated. A qualified individual will have at least three years development experience; it is helpful to have some experience with direct work in fundraising events and with individual donors in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of annual gifts. Experience working closely with Board and key volunteers and knowledge of LGBT and/or philanthropic communities in assigned areas is required. Experience coordinating fundraising events required. Some travel is required for this position. Outstanding written communication, analytical, interpersonal, personal organizational skills and administrative skills are required. Skills in internet research, Microsoft Office, spreadsheets and donor software (preferably Raiser’s Edge) are necessary.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is commensurate with experience in the context of a mid-size non-profit advocacy organization.
Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and people living with HIV, through impact litigation, education and public policy work. Headquartered in New York, Lambda has regional offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Dallas with a total employee populatio...n of about 90. Lambda Legal offers a generous employer paid benefits package with employer paid retirement included.