The Language Support Specialist (LSS) will help international graduate students improve their English language proficiency, which is crucial to their success in the MFA program. The position will develop and provide services and resources to students and will work closely with faculty to provide support for those students who may be challenged by class requirements or by thesis development.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Work with the dean, chairs, and faculty to develop, coordinate and facilitate programs, services and processes to increase student success and progress in the program through improved language skills;
- Develop and lead workshops for students and provide one-on-one support to individuals on English language skills, including but not limited to, class assignments, presentations, and thesis development;
- Support international students in transitioning from programs in their native language to English language instruction in graduate programs and professional interactions at CCS and beyond;
- Collaborate with internal and external colleagues to provide resources to students;
- Communicate with department chairs, faculty and staff to stay abreast of program requirements, and attend department meetings, training or conferences necessary to meet the duties and responsibilities of the position.